Bleach on Latex Paint

Old January 18th 10, 05:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem.coatings

Default Bleach on Latex Paint

I had used Target Surface CLeaner with (hypochlorite) Bleach five years ago
to remove mold from latex paint and it neither peeled nor became moldy again.
Now they sell a Target "all purpose cleaner with bleach" which is 2%
hypochlorite, but they say to use it on non-porous hard surfaces. Is this
essentially the same product? Why the change in warnings? Tilex, which is 3%
hypochlorite says do not use on paint unless you plan to repaint. I do not
mind discoloration. My uncle used TIDE on asbestos sand paint and it began
peeling within hours. Now this paint is not asbestos, but I don't want to
deal with peeling. But I don't want this thing to spread.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Old January 18th 10, 11:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem.coatings

On Jan 17, 11:23*pm, wrote:
I had used Target Surface CLeaner with (hypochlorite) Bleach five years ago
to remove mold from latex paint and it neither peeled nor became moldy again.
Now they sell a Target "all purpose cleaner with bleach" which is 2%
hypochlorite, but they say to use it on non-porous hard surfaces. *Is this
essentially the same product? Why the change in warnings? *Tilex, which is 3%
hypochlorite says do not use on paint unless you plan to repaint. I do not
mind discoloration. My uncle used TIDE on asbestos sand paint and it began
peeling within hours. Now this paint is not asbestos, but I don't want to
deal with peeling. But I don't want this thing to spread.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm...k.com/vasjpan2
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Why are you spending extra money, laundry bleach has nearly the same
active ingrediant for about 2$ a gallon
Old January 18th 10, 12:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem.coatings

On Jan 18, 12:23*am, wrote:
[...]

The formulated product may contain something that may plasticize the
polymer in paint making it more susceptible to oxidation by the
bleach. Pigments could also change color. Don't know about asbestos
sand paint but it may have a more open structure that allows
absorbtion of the bleach for longer term contact which degrades the
paint polymer.

Laundry bleach, I believe, contains about 5% hypochlorite and is a
very powerful oxidizing agent attacking most organic materials.