Restoring rubber stair treads

Old November 4th 09, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Restoring rubber stair treads

I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like to
have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them and
going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean them,
restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Old November 4th 09, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

what about the stuff they spray on tires at the car wash?

Old November 4th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 4:36*pm, "charlie" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

what about the stuff they spray on tires at the car wash?

That was my first thought as well, but isn't there silicone in there?
It would affect repainting and would might make the treads more
slippery.

Old November 4th 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Great idea

Thank you very much!

Bob

"charlie" wrote in message

. ..

Old November 4th 09, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Bob wrote:
....top posting repaired--don't do that...

"charlie" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black
rubber with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each
rib). They are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with
ammonia solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

what about the stuff they spray on tires at the car wash?

Great idea

see another's poster's comments on that before get _too_ excited...

Old November 4th 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:30:41 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like to
have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them and
going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean them,
restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Just about any product used to "restore" rubber is also going to make
it slippery as hell.

Old November 4th 09, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Bob wrote:
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black
rubber with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between
each rib). They are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and
mop(with ammonia solution) them often, they never really look that
good.
I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would
like to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do.
Removing them and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas
about how to clean them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

There is an industrial product called "rubber rejuvinator", very volatile,
but it cleans rubber very well. Years ago I worked in a autobody shop and we
used "tire paint" to refresh the tires after we painted and cleaned the car.
It was thick out of the can, you thinned it to water consistency and painted
the tires, rubber car mats and foot pedals to make them all look new for the
used car lots that were our customers.

I saw some many years ago in an auto parts store, so I don't know if it is
still available now.

Old November 4th 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Why not try rubbing alcohol and a bristle brush? I use it to
rejuvinate the rubber ball on my mouse and the rubber comes back to new
again.... Jim

Old November 4th 09, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

what about the stuff they spray on tires at the car wash?

That sounds like a bad idea... I think that's mostly silicone and while
it does an excellent job of making rubber look good and protecting it,
it also makes it slick...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 5th 09, 02:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Why not try rubbing alcohol and a bristle brush? I use it to
rejuvinate the rubber ball on my mouse and the rubber comes back to new
again.... Jim

Brush with a stiff brush, clean with spray cleaner, and treat with
armor-all or similar. Then to restore the non-skid properties, buzz the
non-skid bumps with a scraper and a rag dampened with alcohol. You want
to protect and shield the rubber surface everywhere except the high
spots where the smooth shoesoles hit.

At work, a few years ago, they put that non-skid decking stuff in all
the elevators. The next week, the cleaning crew waxed it. Those little
raised dots became like walking on marbles in wet weather. So the
trimmed a huge commercial doormat to fit and laid it over that. A few
months later, they ripped all that out, and put in indoor-outdoor carpet
squares. (Don't laugh too hard- your taxes paid for all of it.)

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...

Stair treads GMM UK diy 14 April 19th 09 11:39 PM
Stair treads by T & G Arthur 51 UK diy 22 July 19th 07 06:55 PM
Wear on Stair Treads Jerome Ranch Woodworking 15 July 6th 06 05:56 PM
Oak stair treads - Help Please Tom H Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 12:41 PM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 9th 04 11:54 PM