Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Restoring rubber stair treads

Jim wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black rubber
with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between each rib). They
are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and mop(with ammonia
solution) them often, they never really look that good.

I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would like
to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do. Removing them
and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas about how to clean
them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Why not try rubbing alcohol and a bristle brush? I use it to
rejuvinate the rubber ball on my mouse and the rubber comes back to new
again.... Jim

Brush with a stiff brush, clean with spray cleaner, and treat with
armor-all or similar. Then to restore the non-skid properties, buzz the
non-skid bumps with a scraper and a rag dampened with alcohol. You want
to protect and shield the rubber surface everywhere except the high
spots where the smooth shoesoles hit.

At work, a few years ago, they put that non-skid decking stuff in all
the elevators. The next week, the cleaning crew waxed it. Those little
raised dots became like walking on marbles in wet weather. So the
trimmed a huge commercial doormat to fit and laid it over that. A few
months later, they ripped all that out, and put in indoor-outdoor carpet
squares. (Don't laugh too hard- your taxes paid for all of it.)

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...