Homemade concrete mixer

Old May 19th 09, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homemade concrete mixer

Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer from a
washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and, possibly,
lard?

Thanks.

Old May 20th 09, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 1:48*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer from a
washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and, possibly,
lard?

Thanks.

here's one my neighbor built despite my suggestion of getting one CL

http://www.onlinetips.org/home-made-concrete-mixer

cheers
Bob
Old May 20th 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:48*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer from a
washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and, possibly,
lard?

How much concrete are you going to be mixing? There's a small plastic
bucket-with-baffles that takes a 60 pound bag of concrete, the lid
measures out the correct amount of water, and it's laid down and you
kick it back and forth for a minute or so, then pour. It works well,
it's cheap, portable, stores easily, etc., etc.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,33222&p=10338

Old May 20th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On May 19, 1:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer
from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and,
possibly, lard?

Thanks.

here's one my neighbor built despite my suggestion of getting one CL

http://www.onlinetips.org/home-made-concrete-mixer

Thank. I found that but there's no picture, so I'm not sure whether the
motor goes inside the drum or outside.

Old May 20th 09, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer from a
washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and, possibly,
lard?

Thanks.

I recently saw one on Craig's List--for free.

Old May 20th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On May 19, 4:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer
from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and,
possibly, lard?

How much concrete are you going to be mixing? There's a small plastic
bucket-with-baffles that takes a 60 pound bag of concrete, the lid
measures out the correct amount of water, and it's laid down and you
kick it back and forth for a minute or so, then pour. It works well,
it's cheap, portable, stores easily, etc., etc.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,33222&p=10338

That's a possibility. My son wants to replace a 50' sidewalk in front of his
house.

Old May 20th 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 11:50*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
fftt wrote:
On May 19, 1:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer
from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and,
possibly, lard?

Thanks.

here's one my neighbor built despite my suggestion of getting one CL

http://www.onlinetips.org/home-made-concrete-mixer

Thank. I found that but there's no picture, so I'm not sure whether the
motor goes inside the drum or outside.

I didnt realize you were really serious......I thought you were
joking.

In my experience, anything more than a 1/2 yard per session is worth
getting:

1) a transit mix trailer from a local rental yard (if you have one
that supplies concrete)
2) a site mix truck (dry components)

mixing concrete by hand (ie, even an powered mixer) sucks

cheers
Bob
Old May 20th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On May 19, 1:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

not only that but bought by the truckload concrete is many times
cheaper than by the bag, or buying sand cement and gravel.

some years ago concrete at least 5 yards was 75 bucks a yard
delivered.
the materials to make it near 200 bucks a yard.

Old May 20th 09, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On May 19, 4:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer
from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and,
possibly, lard?

How much concrete are you going to be mixing? *There's a small plastic
bucket-with-baffles that takes a 60 pound bag of concrete, the lid
measures out the correct amount of water, and it's laid down and you
kick it back and forth for a minute or so, then pour. *It works well,
it's cheap, portable, stores easily, etc., etc.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,33222&p=10338

That's a possibility. My son wants to replace a 50' sidewalk in front of his
house.

Not for that quantity, unless the guy needs exercise in a bad way.
There's almost 2 CY in that sidewalk. Get ready mix. It's not even
close to a decision.

Old May 20th 09, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:19:48 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote Re Homemade concrete mixer:

RicodJour wrote:
On May 19, 4:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anybody have the link to an article on fashioning a concrete mixer
from a washing-machine tub, some pipes, a small electric motor, and,
possibly, lard?

How much concrete are you going to be mixing? There's a small plastic
bucket-with-baffles that takes a 60 pound bag of concrete, the lid
measures out the correct amount of water, and it's laid down and you
kick it back and forth for a minute or so, then pour. It works well,
it's cheap, portable, stores easily, etc., etc.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,33222&p=10338

That's a possibility. My son wants to replace a 50' sidewalk in front of his
house.

Well, 50'x4'x4" = 66 cuft = 104 2/3cuft bags.

You may wich to consider renting a mixer.

measuring in concrete mixer john hamilton UK diy 2 August 5th 08 01:40 PM
measuring in concrete mixer john hamilton UK diy 0 August 5th 08 11:49 AM
Cement/concrete mixer NoSpam UK diy 2 January 3rd 08 08:55 PM
Concrete Mixer Leveled UK diy 6 August 13th 06 09:26 PM
Homemade cement mixer? Robert Olin Metalworking 2 November 29th 03 12:21 PM