Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Homemade concrete mixer

"RicodJour" wrote in message
That's a possibility. My son wants to replace a 50' sidewalk in front of
his
house.

Well, 50'x4'x4" = 66 cuft = 104 2/3cuft bags.

You may wich to consider renting a mixer.

When you calculate the time to go get the mixer, clean it, return it
and figure in the higher cost of bagged material, the numbers don't
work. Unless there's free sand and gravel on site there really isn't
a decision. It'll be cheaper and much faster to just have a ready mix
truck pull up and dump it. Couldn't get much easier than placing a
sidewalk.

Save the effort for where it will do some good and where it will save
some money.

I agree with that. Get a truck to haul it in. There will probably be a
minimum load size or aditional hauling cost. Make sure you have an extra
area in mind to use the excess concret if there is any.

A couple of years ago I over spent on a yard of concrete but where I wanted
it I did not have any other beter choice.
I had 50 80 pound bags delivered to the house. It was around $ 250. Then
I rented a mixer for about $ 35. I started around 8:00 AM and finished
taking the mixer back around 3:00. I only used 43 bags at that time and I
had other uses for the other 7 bags.
I did have a dropcord to the mixer and water hose also. Just tilted the
mixer and poured it into a hole.

I could have bought several yards for the price and had it dumped in the
hole and been done in about 30 minuits for what I wanted to do. I knew that
going into the project but did not want to wheelbough that much the distance
I had to haul it . Steep hill and about 100 feet. I used a riding mower and
cart to get the bags from where they dropped it off to where I wanted it .