Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default I keep hearing this creak between my first and second floor

like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while
sitting in my living room. There are no visible signs of cracks in my
first floor ceiling but it's still a little disconcerting. Is this
just a normal sound or a precursor to a larger problem developing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 27, 12:19 pm, Ken wrote:
Joe wrote:
like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while
sitting in my living room. There are no visible signs of cracks in my
first floor ceiling but it's still a little disconcerting. Is this
just a normal sound or a precursor to a larger problem developing.

How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional information
might also be useful.

56 years old in Connecticut. I've been hearing it all summer and now
it's the fall and the temp is down to 50-60 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 10:08*am, Joe wrote:
like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or *5 times a week while
sitting in my living room. There are no visible signs of cracks in my
first floor ceiling but it's still a little disconcerting. Is this
just a normal sound or a precursor to a larger problem developing.

Start by looking at everything in the basement, beams, walls , for
cracks, see if a ball rolls on the floor to a low spot, windows and
doors will be difficult to open and lock. Its likely expansion
contraction from temperature changes and is normal if its continous.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 12:19 pm, Ken wrote:
Joe wrote:
like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while

How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional information
might also be useful.

56 years old in Connecticut. I've been hearing it all summer and now
it's the fall and the temp is down to 50-60 degrees.

Describe the type/loudness?

How long you been in the house?

How long has this been apparent?

Possibly could also be plumbing or duct work moving against supporting
or against joist, etc. Does it correlate w/ using water, showers,
dishwasher, etc., or HVAC cycling?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 27, 11:53 am, dpb wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 12:19 pm, Ken wrote:
Joe wrote:
like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while

How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional information
might also be useful.

56 years old in Connecticut. I've been hearing it all summer and now
it's the fall and the temp is down to 50-60 degrees.

Describe the type/loudness?

like a single knock

How long you been in the house?

2 years

How long has this been apparent?

last month or two

--

no, I mostly notice it at night when nothing is on and the house is
quiet

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while
sitting in my living room. There are no visible signs of cracks in my
first floor ceiling but it's still a little disconcerting. Is this
just a normal sound or a precursor to a larger problem developing.

Get a longer level and start checking the floors and the verticles. If
anything is "out of line" first record the data (e.g.: LR floor drops 1/4"
per 10' toward that back). Do some "detective work" and see if settling at
some particular point would explain your data. Monitor and keep taking
data to see if your problems are progressing. Sometimes cracks occur when
there is little settling but sometimes you will not see cracks because of
the combination of the regidity of the overall structure which doesn't
permit much distortion of the walls and the flexibility of the internaal
wall covering.

If things seem to be "progressing," you should start looking for an expert
to analyze things and "fix it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call a priest from your local church, to come out and bless the house?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Boden" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional
information might also be useful.

Ghosts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

.

"Boden" wrote in message

Ken wrote:
How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional
information might also be useful.

Ghosts?

I found out what it was. It was my dining room table! one of the legs
is lose and the weight of the table was causing the sound. I've
tightened up the leg, if this doesn't work I'll call for the priest!