Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. Hearing aids

I have a severe hearing loss in the right ear. In addition voice
recognition is less than poor. In other words the right ear is toast
even if the volume is cranked up. The left ear has good voice
recognition but the higher frequencies need help. This info came from
the Mayo clinic. They ran a MRI but the results are not in to see if
something can be fixed in the right ear. Apparently hearing loss in
one ear is not common and may be caused by a tumor e.g..

I understand that there is a hearing aid system where a hearing aid is
placed in both ears. The hearing aid in my right ear would transmit
the sound to the other hearing aid.

My question is...does anyone have experience with such a system? Any
words of wisdom concerning brands recommended or to be avoided would
be welcome. I am going to need a hearing aid for the left ear and
would like to know if it might be worthwhile to try the two hearing
aid system. When you only hear with one ear directional location of
the source of sound goes down the toilet.

TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Unknown" wrote in message

[...]

I have the same heaing impairment and my audiologist has never suggested
anything like this. I use an aid only for the better ear.
Visit a NG for hearing loss to get more information.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Unknown" wrote: (clip) When you only hear with one ear directional
location of the source of sound goes down the toilet.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wear two hearing aids, but they operate independently. Using one hearing
aid as a "remote microphone" working through the other side sounds bogus.
Each ear hears only one channel. Feeding in another channel will not help
your directional discrimination. If anything, it will REDUCE it, because
your good ear will be receiving sounds from both sides of your head.

There are hearing aids now with more than one microphone, that can be
programmed by the wearer to enhance sounds from the front, while cancelling
background noise. I have found this to be very effective.

If you happen to live in the SF Bay Area, I can recommend an outstanding
audiologist--he has a PhD in biophysics, and does an amazing job of
improving comprehension.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:30:50 -0600, Unknown
wrote:

I have a severe hearing loss in the right ear. In addition voice
recognition is less than poor. In other words the right ear is toast
even if the volume is cranked up.

No experience with a system as you described, but I suspect that
you're in competant hands at Mayo. Did they consider you to be a
candidate for a cochlear implant on the right side?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. Hearing aids - open post

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:31:32 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds. I was missing half
of life. Watched TV that night at the usual volume number, and said,
"Sheesh, that's LOUD!"

As I was leaving after picking up my new aids, I noted a periodic loud
clunking noise in my car. Uh oh, CV joint? Stopped the car. Clunking
continued. Shut off the engine. Clunking still continued.

It was the turn signal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Unknown" wrote in message

[...]

There is such a system, IIRC it's called CROS. Phonak has a very good
website with lots of information. Costco is now offering a Kirkland
Signature hearing aid kit, digital BTE's made by Interton for about $2,000,
both ears. I'm considering getting them, tracking a conversation in a noisy
environment is tough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a severe hearing loss in the right ear. In addition voice
recognition is less than poor. In other words the right ear is toast
even if the volume is cranked up.

No experience with a system as you described, but I suspect that
you're in competant hands at Mayo. Did they consider you to be a
candidate for a cochlear implant on the right side?

RWL

This is an open post to anyone it is relevant to:

I had a life of working in high noise environments. I lost hearing
gradually over the years. It gets bad. Everyone but YOU hears the joke.
Second time around having it explained to you isn't nearly as funny. You
have to watch people's mouths and pay serious attention to catch what's
going on. If someone behind or beside you says something, you most of the
time don't get it. You are forever asking people to repeat themselves. You
listen to TV at loud volumes.

My new wife got tired of it, and for Christmas about five years ago gave me
a certificate for hearing aids. Yeah, right, I thought. But I went. Got
fitted. Waited two weeks for them to come in. Got refitted. Got computer
programmed. Yeah, I could hear the difference in the audiologist's office
between hearing aids and no hearing aids. Then I left.

First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds. I was missing half
of life. Watched TV that night at the usual volume number, and said,
"Sheesh, that's LOUD!"

"No ****," says Wifey. "Now you know what I've been putting up with."

If I knew it was going to be this good, I would have gone ten years earlier.

If you have a hearing problem, or think you might, go to an audiologist and
be tested. From there, you can get top of the line brands on the Internet
for about half of what the local crook wants. They will definitely improve
your quality of life. Do what it takes.

Yes, they do cost. But they are worth it, and some insurance companies pay
some of it.

Do it for yourself, and everyone around you. Get it as good as it's going
to be.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a pair of these.
http://www.siemens-hearing.com/heari...entraLife.aspx

They have several volume levels and three programs; phone, normal and
noisy. Remote control changes both and monitors battery level. I've
had them about a year. Sure made a difference in "understanding"
conversation. Batteries last a week or so.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:14:32 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

,;On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:30:50 -0600, Unknown
,;wrote:
,;
,;
,;I have a severe hearing loss in the right ear. In addition voice
,;recognition is less than poor. In other words the right ear is toast
,;even if the volume is cranked up.
,;
,;No experience with a system as you described, but I suspect that
,;you're in competant hands at Mayo. Did they consider you to be a
,;candidate for a cochlear implant on the right side?

Yes the suggestion came from a M.D. at Mayo after a very complete
examination. I was there for a check on the new implanted eye lens and
had a hearing evaluation the same day. They said the right ear is
toast. The problem is that I have no word recognition in that ear so
kicking up the volume isn't going to help. He did not suggest a
cochlear implant. If the MRI indicates that surgery will correct it I
probably will have it done.

The "new" eye came out at 20/15 and may improve a bit more. I passed
the driver's test easily. The other eye is going to be done next
month. If I cover the "new" eye while driving it is absolutely
terrifying and that old eye was the "good" one. I had no idea how poor
my vision had become.

I appreciate the comments. I will continue with Mayo and post any
results that might be of interest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds.

This was the first thing I realized I'd been missing. I hadn't even
noticed until I could hear them again.

Now if only they cost as much it should cost to make them and sell
them. There isn't $3000 dollars of tech and service a pair in them.

David

I'd gladly pay twice that if hearing aids could make it so I could hear
birds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:
SteveB wrote:
First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds.

This was the first thing I realized I'd been missing. I hadn't even
noticed until I could hear them again.

Now if only they cost as much it should cost to make them and sell
them. There isn't $3000 dollars of tech and service a pair in them.

David

RIGHT! When a TV set or lap top can be made for a few hundred
bucks I'll be Da--d if I'll pay those scalpers the fortune
they want for a hearing aid. I worked in the electronic
industry for 50 yrs and I would guess it costs about 100$
for one of those they want thousands for. I'll put up with
my hearing loss. :-(
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds.

This was the first thing I realized I'd been missing. I hadn't even
noticed until I could hear them again.

Now if only they cost as much it should cost to make them and sell
them. There isn't $3000 dollars of tech and service a pair in them.

David

They are outrageously expensive. A friend of mine got a pair online that
are the top of the line with all the latest bells and whistles. Still a lot
of money. But, you get what you pay for, and I consider mine worth what I
paid for them.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Unknown" wrote

I appreciate the comments. I will continue with Mayo and post any
results that might be of interest.

All the best to you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

[...]

I have two sets now.

First set is completely in the ear - ok, but still can't hear on the
left side.

THe other (new) set is not complely inside the ear. Slightly protruding
but WAY LOUDER! I can actually hear something on the left side.

Neither of them are very comfortable as they both have hard plastic
case. Wish they could make them with firm silicone or such...

$4000 for the first pair, $8000 for the second.

For that kind of money I want comfort too!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

First thing I heard when I went outside was the birds.

This was the first thing I realized I'd been missing. I hadn't even
noticed until I could hear them again.

Now if only they cost as much it should cost to make them and sell
them. There isn't $3000 dollars of tech and service a pair in them.

David

Costco has one of the best digital hearing aids you can get at $2,000 a
pair, which includes various paraphernalia in a kit. They are made by
Interton, which is a prominent German manufacturer. My experience dealing
with Costco for hearing aids for a family member has been very good,
including follow up service and repairs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote
or such...

$4000 for the first pair, $8000 for the second.

For that kind of money I want comfort too!

Richard

I have a guy in Las Vegas that has top of the line goods at lower prices.
Now you can get better prices on the Internet, too. Mine were $4k at the
hearing aid store, and $2500 from him.

I haven't forgotten you, either. We go to Vegas this week, and I'm GOING to
get over to Curtis for some SS, as I want to do a fountain project, and will
probably be buying a small TIG soon.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote
or such...

$4000 for the first pair, $8000 for the second.

For that kind of money I want comfort too!

Richard

I have a guy in Las Vegas that has top of the line goods at lower prices.
Now you can get better prices on the Internet, too. Mine were $4k at the
hearing aid store, and $2500 from him.

I haven't forgotten you, either. We go to Vegas this week, and I'm GOING to
get over to Curtis for some SS, as I want to do a fountain project, and will
probably be buying a small TIG soon.

Steve

I "hear" that, Steve

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" (clip) From there, you can get top of the line brands on the
Internet
for about half of what the local crook wants. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the only part of your message that I take issue with. Fitting a
hearing aid is more than making an earmold and adjusting the volume
control. Hearing loss varies from person to person, and the new digital
hearing aids can be programmed to fit the individual's need. My audiologist
measures the person's loss and enters the curve into his computer. He
inserts tiny flexible tubing into the patient's ears, so he can take out a
signal of what the hearing aid is doing. He then superimposes the hearing
loss curve, so he actually hears the same thing as the patient. Between
what he hears, and what the patient tells him, he is able to tune the
hearing aid to produce good intelligibility, It's much more than making
things louder.