Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown Unknown is offline

Default O.T. Hearing aids

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:14:32 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

,;On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:30:50 -0600, Unknown
,;wrote:
,;
,;
,;I have a severe hearing loss in the right ear. In addition voice
,;recognition is less than poor. In other words the right ear is toast
,;even if the volume is cranked up.
,;
,;No experience with a system as you described, but I suspect that
,;you're in competant hands at Mayo. Did they consider you to be a
,;candidate for a cochlear implant on the right side?

Yes the suggestion came from a M.D. at Mayo after a very complete
examination. I was there for a check on the new implanted eye lens and
had a hearing evaluation the same day. They said the right ear is
toast. The problem is that I have no word recognition in that ear so
kicking up the volume isn't going to help. He did not suggest a
cochlear implant. If the MRI indicates that surgery will correct it I
probably will have it done.

The "new" eye came out at 20/15 and may improve a bit more. I passed
the driver's test easily. The other eye is going to be done next
month. If I cover the "new" eye while driving it is absolutely
terrifying and that old eye was the "good" one. I had no idea how poor
my vision had become.

I appreciate the comments. I will continue with Mayo and post any
results that might be of interest.