Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default O.T. Hearing aids

"Unknown" wrote: (clip) When you only hear with one ear directional
location of the source of sound goes down the toilet.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wear two hearing aids, but they operate independently. Using one hearing
aid as a "remote microphone" working through the other side sounds bogus.
Each ear hears only one channel. Feeding in another channel will not help
your directional discrimination. If anything, it will REDUCE it, because
your good ear will be receiving sounds from both sides of your head.

There are hearing aids now with more than one microphone, that can be
programmed by the wearer to enhance sounds from the front, while cancelling
background noise. I have found this to be very effective.

If you happen to live in the SF Bay Area, I can recommend an outstanding
audiologist--he has a PhD in biophysics, and does an amazing job of
improving comprehension.