Old September 12th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

Default Hearing aid...needed

So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".

Big deal. We knew that.

So we ask 'OK how long?'

"Six months. And it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

Great. So..anyone had experience of COMMERCIAL PROVISION - types,
models, providers and the like esp. in East Anglia?

For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

Digital would seem to be a must.

I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

Old September 12th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Go to a Centre for the deaf or hard of hearing I think if you're going to
buy you can put half to the proceeds and the NHS will pay the other half?
Contact the RNID

http://www.rnid.org.uk/mediacentre/k...s/other_facts/

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old September 12th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...

Nothing wrong with "outside ear" aids....

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU...ear/fail1a.jpg

The whole article is worth a read anyway.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/ear/ear.htm

--
Skipweasel
Old September 12th 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

"Go to the hospital"

Who say

"You need a hearing aid".

Big deal. We knew that.

So we ask 'OK how long?'

"Six months. And it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

Find a situation in which you will urgently need your hearing aid
(Perhaps in court suing someone for not getting you a hearing aid
quickly enough? ;-))
They might hurry it up.

Great. So..anyone had experience of COMMERCIAL PROVISION - types,
models, providers and the like esp. in East Anglia?

For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

Digital would seem to be a must.

I suppose what we ant now is a place to go and try stuff out without
having to commit to anything..Bury/Cambridge/Newmarket/Ely sorts of
areas for choice...

--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Old September 12th 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...

Nothing wrong with "outside ear" aids....

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU...ear/fail1a.jpg

The whole article is worth a read anyway.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/ear/ear.htm

--
Skipweasel

Haven't time to read them for all the hospital visiting but I might after
tomorrow's hearing assessment.

Bookmarked.

Mary

Old September 12th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

[...]

uk.d-i-y?

make one from some string, two cans and a megaphone...
method:
Use the string to tie the wife to the chair, you sit on the other side of
the room, drink the cans and use the megaphone to talk to her.
:-p

Old September 12th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

So, we go to the GP, who says

Mine didn't. He asked if I'd be prepared to wear a hearing aid when I said I
had trouble.

... it will be the one WE decide to give to YOU, but it
will be free.."

I've been told I'll be given a digital one.

Spouse made me one from a long cow horn. Works a treat and it's a joy to see
children's faces after they've picked it up and tried to blow it and I tell
them what it is :-)

Mary

Old September 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Haven't time to read them for all the hospital visiting but I might after
tomorrow's hearing assessment.

How's the leaky lad?

--
Skipweasel
Old September 12th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

"You need a hearing aid".

In addition to hearing aids which are nothing like a
complete fix and are ineffective for some people, you
might want to look into some lip reading training.
If your wife is good at crosswords, that's a good
indicator she might be good at lip reading with some
training (very similar skills are required for both).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old September 12th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.local.east-anglia,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For those of you who know what it means my wife looks like her hearing
shelves from normal at 100Hz down to -50dB at 750Hz, where it plateaus
before falling off a cliff after 2.5Khz..I doubt anything over 8kHz is
audible at all..

300 - 3000 Hz was chosen for telephones as being comfortable for speech.
-50 DB for the last two octaves would make it very difficult to
understand.

She wants something in ear, for comfort, rather than cosmetic
reasons...but 50dB is apparently the bleeding edge as far as 'in ear'
technology goes..

I would think so. That's a lot of gain to have twixt mic and speaker in
something that small without feedback.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Windows replacing: needed scaffolding? Gianfra UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 04:39 AM
people needed work money man UK diy 0 April 14th 06 12:22 PM
telephone wiring HELP needed ! Beowulf Home Repair 34 April 11th 06 02:59 AM
Contractors needed in New Orleans ! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 06:33 PM
Part needed: Kenwood Car Radio KDC-MP625 part needed Klem Electronics Repair 1 September 28th 05 04:27 AM