Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Child door locks for entry door

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a
single cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to
unlock it. He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that
he might respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we
do. I considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit
concerned about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I
believe it is allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a
2nd interior only deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last
is the little chains and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will
not open at all. I've looked for everything I can think of, and have
yielded nothing so far. What does everyone else use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 8:36�am, crust wrote:
Hello, �I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. �It currently has a
single cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to
unlock it. �He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that
he might respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we
do. �I considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit
concerned about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I
believe it is allowed in Austin,TX. �The other thought is to have a
2nd interior only deadbolt installed higher up on the door. �The last
is the little chains and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will
not open at all. �I've looked for everything I can think of, and have
yielded nothing so far. �What does everyone else use?

add a door alarm, a noisy door is open annuciator, with a silence
button up high the kid ant reach, often its part of whole house
security systems....

a good friend used a high up hook and eye.......

kids can be very challenging......... childproof everything

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 7:46 am, " wrote:

add a door alarm, a noisy door is open annuciator, with a silence
button up high the kid ant reach, often its part of whole house
security systems....

Yeah, I have one as part of the whole house alarm. But I really want
to _prevent_ the door from being opened. The alarm prevents people
going out w/o notice, but I really don't want him opening the door for
strangers and so on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:36:39 -0700, crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a single
cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to unlock it.
He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that he might
respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we do. I
considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit concerned
about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I believe it is
allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a 2nd interior only
deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last is the little chains
and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will not open at all. I've
looked for everything I can think of, and have yielded nothing so far.
What does everyone else use?

I've seen tamper proof outdoor spigots that require a wrench type
removable handle to turn on/off. Too bad there isn't some like this for
door locks. A handle with a hex wrench that fits into a socket in the
door and that can be removed when necessary.

What about a security latch similar to what many hotel rooms have on
entry doors? The door could be opened slightly, but at least your kid
could not escape.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:36:39 -0700, crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a single
cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to unlock it.
He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that he might
respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we do. I
considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit concerned
about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I believe it is
allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a 2nd interior only
deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last is the little chains
and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will not open at all. I've
looked for everything I can think of, and have yielded nothing so far.
What does everyone else use?

I think what you are looking for is to prevent the child from unlocking
the door, not opening the door. Since your concerned about security,
unlocking the door is bad enough. Otherwise I would suggest one of those
latches that go on the top of the door that prevents it from opening.

Best bet is to take this opportunity to teach the child. My son has Down
Syndrome so I ended up putting a key lock on the inside. Its in violation
of local codes, but I have other priorities than that. If there is a fire
we have 6 first floor windows we can easily climb out of. Lots of my
interior doors have keylocks as well if there is any danger in that room.
Of course this makes the room more interesting. I keep the keys on top of
the door ledges. Now he figured out how to work a key lock because I
leave the key in my bedroom too often. Then he figured out to bang into
the door to get the key to drop. You can't stay in front of the forever.
Just hope that maturity comes with intelligence.

A door chain too high for him might be good. The top of the door metal
flap thingy might actually be good. If he realizes that unlocking the
door wont open it he may stop unlocking it.

I also have the door alarm. at this point though I put the knob back on
the door and a teaching him since he is able to get it now. Doesent have
it yet, but it wont be long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This would be the fastest, quickest, cheapest, easiest:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ck-656532.aspx

but any of these will work well:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...or-guards.aspx

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a
single cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to
unlock it. He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that
he might respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we
do. I considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit
concerned about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I
believe it is allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a
2nd interior only deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last
is the little chains and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will
not open at all. I've looked for everything I can think of, and have
yielded nothing so far. What does everyone else use?

We changed our locks when little grandsons were coming for an extended
stay. We have a
lock in the doorknob and a second lock higher up. The upper lock was
keyed to open with the
same key as the other lock, but requires a key inside and out. We live
on the water and didn't want
the little ones waking before us and going out alone. As it was, the
two year old got away and
we found him leaning over the seawall looking at critters ) The boys
were 2 and 3 at the time,
stayed for 5 weeks. Part of the entertainment was taking them to swim
lessons - very beneficial.

I don't know how this rates on safety measures - a key can be kept
nearby and out of reach
of the toddler. Don't leave jewelry or lipstick where he can get to it
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

crust wrote:
Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a
single cylinder deadbolt, ...

Add a deadbolt or surface-mount bolt high enough kid can't reach it
would seem pretty sure-fire...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I used to buy locks like this for pool gates. They can be had at lock shops
and are called "institutional" locks. Yes, they need special attention, and
yes, they are a pain, but yes, they do prevent someone from going outside
that doesn't belong there.

Steve

PVC door locks Wibble[_2_] UK diy 10 December 6th 07 07:31 PM
Door Entry System - Aluminium Door John UK diy 8 October 30th 07 10:04 PM
Adapt standard door to pocket door---Locks NoSpecialName Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 03:15 AM
Keyless door locks wayne Home Repair 9 June 30th 05 05:48 AM