Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default Child door locks for entry door

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:36:39 -0700, crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a single
cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to unlock it.
He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that he might
respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we do. I
considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit concerned
about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I believe it is
allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a 2nd interior only
deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last is the little chains
and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will not open at all. I've
looked for everything I can think of, and have yielded nothing so far.
What does everyone else use?

I've seen tamper proof outdoor spigots that require a wrench type
removable handle to turn on/off. Too bad there isn't some like this for
door locks. A handle with a hex wrench that fits into a socket in the
door and that can be removed when necessary.

What about a security latch similar to what many hotel rooms have on
entry doors? The door could be opened slightly, but at least your kid
could not escape.

Franz Fripplfrappl