Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Child door locks for entry door

This would be the fastest, quickest, cheapest, easiest:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ck-656532.aspx

but any of these will work well:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...or-guards.aspx

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:36:39 -0700, crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for
my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has
a single
cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to
unlock it.
He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that he
might
respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we do.
considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit
concerned
about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I believe
it is
allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a 2nd
interior only
deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last is the
little chains
and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will not open at
all. I've
looked for everything I can think of, and have yielded nothing
so far.
What does everyone else use?

I've seen tamper proof outdoor spigots that require a wrench
type
removable handle to turn on/off. Too bad there isn't some like
this for
door locks. A handle with a hex wrench that fits into a socket
in the
door and that can be removed when necessary.

What about a security latch similar to what many hotel rooms
have on
entry doors? The door could be opened slightly, but at least
your kid
could not escape.

Franz Fripplfrappl