Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Child door locks for entry door

crust wrote:

Hello, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a lock for my entry
door to prevent my children from opening it. It currently has a
single cylinder deadbolt, but my 2yo already has figured out how to
unlock it. He is pretty good about not doing it but I am worried that
he might respond to the doorbell and make it to the door before we
do. I considered converting it to a double cylinder, but I am a bit
concerned about putting a double cylinder on an egress, though I
believe it is allowed in Austin,TX. The other thought is to have a
2nd interior only deadbolt installed higher up on the door. The last
is the little chains and clasps, but I would prefer if the door will
not open at all. I've looked for everything I can think of, and have
yielded nothing so far. What does everyone else use?

We changed our locks when little grandsons were coming for an extended
stay. We have a
lock in the doorknob and a second lock higher up. The upper lock was
keyed to open with the
same key as the other lock, but requires a key inside and out. We live
on the water and didn't want
the little ones waking before us and going out alone. As it was, the
two year old got away and
we found him leaning over the seawall looking at critters ) The boys
were 2 and 3 at the time,
stayed for 5 weeks. Part of the entertainment was taking them to swim
lessons - very beneficial.

I don't know how this rates on safety measures - a key can be kept
nearby and out of reach
of the toddler. Don't leave jewelry or lipstick where he can get to it