Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Sink drain

Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from frying and the
like. I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 9:24*am, Al wrote:
Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from frying and the
like. *I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

No but I would recommend having a P-trap directly under each bowl.
This helps prevent buildup from occuring in the drain running from the
left to the right that is basically flat.

You don't need to put in a T, a special fitting is available that
mounts directly to the bottom of the sink that has the takeoff for the
DW
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:24:06 -0400, Al
wrote:

Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from frying and the
like. I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Over 50 years cooking I have NEVER had a grease clog. I pour used
grease and oil into a jar and toss it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure everyone reading this is screaming, "then don't pour the fat down
the drain"

Even if the greese does not clog the drain in your house, it can and dous
cause backups in the municipal sewer system. Call city hall and they will
encourage you not to do it as well. I often see short articals in my city
newspaper explaining how greese dumping is bad for the city.

I don't fry much so the cup a month I dump is not a problem but it sounds
like your dumping a lot more than that. If you insist, you need to run the
hot water a lot longer than you would think to flush the greese all the way
to the street before it thickens or pools. Else it will accumulate on the
walls of your drain pipe requiring a snake to ultimately clear it. If you
have a cleanout near the kitchen sink on the outside of your house, you
should run a garden hose down it every so often to act like a snke to clear
the debris.

WRT a dishwasher, It is the normal practice to connect the drain to either a
spot on the garbage disposer or to a sanitary tee before the P trap but you
also need an air gap before it, If the drain clogs, the dishwasher water
will flow out the air gap overflow into the sink basin instead of the
connection.

"Al" wrote in message
Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from
frying and the
like. I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to
get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer
on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to
flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 30, 9:24 am, Al wrote:
[...]

Thanks DW Nice answer!!

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

wrote:

Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from frying and the
like. I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Over 50 years cooking I have NEVER had a grease clog. I pour used
grease and oil into a jar and toss it out.

I don't clog drains either. I just get called on to fix them..

(O: (O: (O:

Thanks Phisherman!!!

Al
Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

"Al" wrote in message
Every so often my kitchen sink clogs up from fat / grease residue from
frying and the
like. I clear it with boiling water but it is a pain when it happens.

What I want to do is route my dishwasher drain through my sink drains to
get a good
soapy water flush through every day.

MY sink P trap is at the right end of the double sink with the dish washer
on the
left side. So I thought I could just Tee in on the left end in order to
flush all the
lines.

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Thanks for the response.

Al
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Yes, STOP pouring GREASE down your drain

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Rudy wrote:

Anyone see any problem with what I want to do??

Yes, STOP pouring GREASE down your drain

That's an excellent suggestion and it might even have some relevance to the
conversation if it addressed the question of connecting a dish washer to a
sink drain.

IE: The question that was asked..

Adding a sink drain to a main drain Phisherman Home Repair 3 December 11th 07 12:32 AM
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place. mm Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 03:08 AM
convert sink drain to washing machine drain? shawn Home Repair 2 May 28th 06 10:40 PM
sink won't drain gdk01315 Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 06:38 PM
Adding a sink drain line into existing 3" PVC drain / waste line DL Home Repair 6 May 15th 05 10:06 PM