Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding a sink drain to a main drain

I need to add a 2" sink drain to a main vertical 3" drain. I will
need to remove a section of the main 3" drain and replace it with a
PVC fitting to accept the 2" sink drain. Should a Wye or a sanitary
T be used?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
I need to add a 2" sink drain to a main vertical 3" drain. I will
need to remove a section of the main 3" drain and replace it with a
PVC fitting to accept the 2" sink drain. Should a Wye or a sanitary
T be used?

Use a WYE or a TEE/WYE.

A san TEE is used where the stack above the TEE
will be used as the vent for the new fixture trap,
which is unlikely the case here.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:20:17 -0500, Speedy Jim
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I need to add a 2" sink drain to a main vertical 3" drain. I will
need to remove a section of the main 3" drain and replace it with a
PVC fitting to accept the 2" sink drain. Should a Wye or a sanitary
T be used?

Use a WYE or a TEE/WYE.

A san TEE is used where the stack above the TEE
will be used as the vent for the new fixture trap,
which is unlikely the case here.

Jim

Thanks for the response, but not sure what you mean here. The PVC
fitting I plan to install has a 3" opening on top, a 3" opening on the
bottom, and a 2" branch off the side. The main stack (where I want to
tap into) is from floor to ceiling and indeed does vent to the roof.
Are you saying the main stack is not likely vented? The san TEE is an
easier fit, would require fewer fittings than the wye, and no
relocating studs in the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

If the stack has fixtures on the floors above, then
it cannot be used for venting purposes where you are
connecting in.

While a San TEE may fit better for your project,
it really isn't correct although it may work OK.

Jim