Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I remove moisture from a double pane window?

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.
Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 11:56 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:
I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Replace the window, or live with it.

What's happened is that the seal between the panes has been
compromised, allowing regular air, including moisture, into the gap.
There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 4, 11:56 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Replace the window, or live with it.

What's happened is that the seal between the panes has been
compromised, allowing regular air, including moisture, into the gap.
There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

What you just said is certainly the correct general answer.

However, I've been intrigued by reading about the Clear-Vu system for
several years now:

http://www.thermalpanerestoration.com/

I'm not sure if they have licensees outside of Canada.

The description of what they do doesn't sound completely off the wall.

But, I'd expect if it is as good as their ads say I would have heard
more about it by now, 'eh?

Does anyone in the group have any further info or experience with the
Clear-Vu system?

A couple of times over the years I've "cheated" and used a glass drill
to bore a couple of 3/16" holes through the outer pane of a fogged up
insulated glass window, right at its bottom edge.

That got rid of the fogging and squeezed a couple of more years of use
out of the windows before enough crud built up on the inner surfaces to
guilt me into replacing the glass.

Probably my drilled windows didn't have quite as good insulating value
as if they still had gas in them, but long before double pane glass came
out we'd put up "storm windows" every winter, didn't we?

A word of warning, don't try drilling through a tempered glass window or
door. The results will be dramatic and disapointing. (DAMHIKT)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

You might make a bigger leak to the outdoors, in a cold climate.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Looks like the first link I gave was just a licensee. The parent company
seems to have licensees in the USA now:

http://www.ccwwi.com/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might make a bigger leak to the outdoors, in a cold climate.

Nick

That is more along the lines of my thinking since replacing the window
would be very costly.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 793195c140f03@uwe, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:
I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Generally speaking, you can't. There are some firms that claim
to offer such services but I wouldn't trust them. The seals
have failed and the only really satisfactory solution will
require the units be replaced. Check the warranty situation.
Otherwise any decent glass company will be able to replace
the units for you. And since you're only replacing the
sealed glass unit and not the entire window the cost should
be quite reasonable. I think I paid around $200 each to
replace some panes that were around 15 sq ft each. They
came and measured up, returned a week later, installed the
new panels and hauled away the old. Job done!

Just try and find a reputable glass company that's been in
business in your city for a few years (or generations!).

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:10 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:
You might make a bigger leak to the outdoors, in a cold climate.

Nick

That is more along the lines of my thinking since replacing the window
would be very costly.
Thanks

Replacing the _window_ would be but you don't have to do that. Any
glass company will replace just the sealed glazing unit. I have had
it done (on one window twice but the warrantee paid for the second
shot).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 12:00 pm, Harry K wrote:
On Oct 4, 10:10 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:

That is more along the lines of my thinking since replacing the window
would be very costly.

Replacing the _window_ would be but you don't have to do that. Any
glass company will replace just the sealed glazing unit. I have had
it done (on one window twice but the warrantee paid for the second
shot).

Depends of course on the size of the window. 7 or 8 years ago I had a
mower throw a rock into a 4ft x 8ft patio slider. Replacing the sealed
unit in that puppy cost me a hair over $500. Ouch!

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Jerry wrote:

Depends of course on the size of the window. 7 or 8 years ago I had a
mower throw a rock into a 4ft x 8ft patio slider. Replacing the sealed
unit in that puppy cost me a hair over $500. Ouch!

Tempered, laminated or some other form of safety glass was
probably used, and required by code. That would add to the
cost significantly.

Fortunately, replacing sealed units with regular glass is
reasonably inexpensive.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 4:00 pm, Jerry wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:00 pm, Harry K wrote:

On Oct 4, 10:10 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:
That is more along the lines of my thinking since replacing the window
would be very costly.

Replacing the _window_ would be but you don't have to do that. Any
glass company will replace just the sealed glazing unit. I have had
it done (on one window twice but the warrantee paid for the second
shot).

Depends of course on the size of the window. 7 or 8 years ago I had a
mower throw a rock into a 4ft x 8ft patio slider. Replacing the sealed
unit in that puppy cost me a hair over $500. Ouch!

Jerry

Crazy! My glass supplier stocks the standard replacement glass for
that size patio door for $180. I wish I could make $320 to install a
piece of glass!

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:44:53 -0000, Big_Jake
wrote:

On Oct 4, 4:00 pm, Jerry wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:00 pm, Harry K wrote:

On Oct 4, 10:10 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:
That is more along the lines of my thinking since replacing the window
would be very costly.
Replacing the _window_ would be but you don't have to do that. Any
glass company will replace just the sealed glazing unit. I have had
it done (on one window twice but the warrantee paid for the second
shot).

Depends of course on the size of the window. 7 or 8 years ago I had a
mower throw a rock into a 4ft x 8ft patio slider. Replacing the sealed
unit in that puppy cost me a hair over $500. Ouch!

Jerry

Crazy! My glass supplier stocks the standard replacement glass for
that size patio door for $180. I wish I could make $320 to install a
piece of glass!

JK

I have a 21" ROUND thermo pane window. The cost is $480. To install
it is $250 (because it is 20 feet up). I decided to just leave the
fog in the window and hang a $200 round stained glass piece over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

locally pittsburgh window and door have a repair service.

remove section in trouble like 1/2 a double hung or picture window,
with frame intact.

they in a matter of ours disassemble the frame, measure and make a new
sealed unit.

our dogs throw themselves at our 3 foot by 4 foot picture window, it
fogged.

75 bucks replaced the sealed unit with warranty.

compare to 6 or 7 hundred quote for a new window, a local contractor
doing job at neighbor quoted me........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:56:39 GMT, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com"
u35366@uwe wrote:

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.
Charles

Drill a hole and fill the void with argon. Seal the hole and cross
your fingers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

On Oct 4, 11:56 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Replace the window, or live with it.

What's happened is that the seal between the panes has been
compromised, allowing regular air, including moisture, into the gap.
There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

Don't be so negative. The OP merely has to build a squeegee inside the
window. (Practice with a ship in a bottle, then you'll be ready.)

Yeah, and if he includes a couple of rare earth magnets in the design
he'll be able to move it around at will. Howbout dat? G

I haven't tried it, but on a dry day, alternately heating and cooling the
window would swap the air inside with the air outside, and carry away the
moisture as well. It would take a lot of cycles, probably.

You have the advantage that the heating drives out moisture that it
simultaneously evaporates, so some of the physics is working in your
favor at least.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/4/2007 12:08 PM said the following:
On Oct 4, 11:56 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Replace the window, or live with it.

What's happened is that the seal between the panes has been
compromised, allowing regular air, including moisture, into the gap.
There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

Too late for the OP, but when my house was being built back in 1984, we
had a long heavy duty extension cord running out from the Andersen C4
casement window to the temporary electrical service pole. One night,
some kids decided to break in to hang out in the not quite finished
house. In prying the c4 open, they cracked the glass pane. This was in
October, so no humidity.
I ran a bead of CA glue along the crack, temporarily until I could
replace the pane. That temporary fix has lasted 23 years and the pane is
still clear.
I only get reminded of it when the SWMBO decides the change the curtains
and drapes.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Or use something similar to this device, which cleans the *inside*
surface of your monitor simply by moving the mouse around. (Not sure
whether this technology is based on rare earth magnets.)

http://www.25-88.com/clean_your_monitor/brush.swf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Hardin wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

It would take far fewer cycles if the holes drilled through the bottom
edge of the outer pane which I described earlier in this thread were in
place.

In fact, that's what happens, the (usually diurnal) changes in air
temperature and insolation do it for you.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)