Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default How do I remove moisture from a double pane window?

wrote:
On Oct 4, 11:56 am, "Charlesmurphy via HomeKB.com" u35366@uwe wrote:

I have a house with double pane windows. One of these windows has
fog/condensation between the panes. None of the other windows have this
problem. How can I get this moisture out? The window casing is wood.

Replace the window, or live with it.

What's happened is that the seal between the panes has been
compromised, allowing regular air, including moisture, into the gap.
There is absolutely no way you can recreate the conditions at the
window factory where the gap was purged and filled with specially-
dried air, or a gas like argon. Even if you could, you still have the
problem of finding and sealing the leak that allowed the moist normal
air to penetrate.

What you just said is certainly the correct general answer.

However, I've been intrigued by reading about the Clear-Vu system for
several years now:

http://www.thermalpanerestoration.com/

I'm not sure if they have licensees outside of Canada.

The description of what they do doesn't sound completely off the wall.

But, I'd expect if it is as good as their ads say I would have heard
more about it by now, 'eh?

Does anyone in the group have any further info or experience with the
Clear-Vu system?

A couple of times over the years I've "cheated" and used a glass drill
to bore a couple of 3/16" holes through the outer pane of a fogged up
insulated glass window, right at its bottom edge.

That got rid of the fogging and squeezed a couple of more years of use
out of the windows before enough crud built up on the inner surfaces to
guilt me into replacing the glass.

Probably my drilled windows didn't have quite as good insulating value
as if they still had gas in them, but long before double pane glass came
out we'd put up "storm windows" every winter, didn't we?

A word of warning, don't try drilling through a tempered glass window or
door. The results will be dramatic and disapointing. (DAMHIKT)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)