wall cabinet coming off

Old May 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default wall cabinet coming off

Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I will try my best
to explain.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 28th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

The best fix, of course, it to take it off, glue it all together, then
re-hang it.

Can you push it back into place? If so, You may be able to glue the joints
that are pulling apart and put some screws through the particleboard. Use
screws made for that material. If one side is next to a wall, you can put a
few screw into the side and into a stud in the wall.

Old May 28th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

Although it's hard to see exactly, I think the situation is this:

* The shelves are attached to the sides of the cabinet
* The sides are attached to the back using small nails, as shown in
photos 93 and 96. Not very strong.
* The back is attached to the wall.
* So when the shelves are loaded they transfer the load to the sides,
which transfer it to the joint between them and the back. That's
a weak joint (nails have very little strength in the "pull"
direction), while the joint between the back and the wall is
strong (screws in a wall plug), so it's the joint between the
sides and the back that goes.

In other words, you have a cheap, poorly-constructed cabinet which has
been over-stressed and is falling apart. If I'm right no remedial
action will help; there is nothing for it but to take the thing down and
replace it with a new one, preferably better made.

Take heart, though: these things tend to be of a standard size so your
new one should fit into the same space and not leave too much damage to
the decorations.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old May 28th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I will try my best
to explain.

It's a rather simple fix to put it back "like it was," but chances are it
won't last, as the design and construction of the wall cabinet itself is
faulty/cheap ... and that's being charitable.

You will most definitely need someone locally who does kitchen
cabinets/cabinet installation to come in and spell out your options.

Sorry to say that, while they may be able to fix the visible problem, the
underlying cheapness will never go away. If you are the homeowner, you will
want to replace it, and any like it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Old May 28th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

1. You should be able to pound the whole sheebang back into place.
2. Drive or screw anchors UP into the ceiling joists (may have to drill
first to avoid splintering). Go thru the frame if necessary. This will keep
the cabinet from rotating outward - which seems to be the result of the poor
installation process.

Old May 28th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On May 28, 3:38 pm, wrote:

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this. Our kitchen wall cabinet is coming off of the wall from the top
side. Not only this, the outer frame is sliding out of the top and
shelves. The top and she;ves seem to sit (and run) in groves in the
inside of the outer frame. As you can see I am not good at explaining
it in words and woodworking terminologies, therefore here are the
pictures

http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

I will hate to have it taken off and get it reinstalled. Rather, I
will prefer to prevent this situation from getting worse.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I will try my best
to explain.

Thanks in advance.

Your cabinet is dead. Through extraordinary measures you could put it
back together to make it look like a repaired cabinet, but there are
enough things wrong with it that it would probably be easier, possibly
cheaper or at least a wash, to replace it. From the sticker and
general look of it, it's a Mills Pride or equivalent big box store
brand, so you might luck out and buy an exact replacement for $100.

If you're dead set on repairing it, taking it down and redoing it is
usually pretty straightforward. Wall cabinets are usually held up
with just a few screws - few being four or six or so. Just back them
out and have someone hold up the cabinet when you're removing the last
couple. Use glue, screws and don't worry too much about exposed
fasteners on the sides. There are cosmetic buttons and stickers that
are made to cover. Big box stores have them. That thin back does a
lot of work and there should be plenty of tacks holding it - every few
inches. The shelf load is on the sides, so the connection of the
sides to the top and particularly to the hanging rail (the horizontal
strip along the top of the back of the cabinet) is critical. Some
polyurethane glue and some square drive trim head screws should do the
trick. If you're willing to give up the adjustability you could nail
through the back and into the shelves, though that's probably not
necessary if you do a good enough job repairing the case. The face
frame, same thing, glue and some finish nails covered with some
colored repair wax.

The fifth picture from your link shows a drywall screw through the
face frame above the hinge. That's one of the screws you'll have to
remove to take the cabinet down. Careful - they tend to snap if your
over-torque them. I'm a bit confused about what's going on. That
drywall screw should have prevented the cabinet from moving down and
forward so much. What happened to the cabinet to the left of the one
you photographed?

Old May 29th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
J.

I glued and screwed a cheapo cabinet like that back together once. Then
I added a screw or two through the face frame side into the frame of the
adjoining cabinet. I also added a 3/4 x 3/4 ledger strip to the wall, on
which the rear and one side of the cabinet bottom rested. That seemed to
give just enough extra strength for it not to come crashing down.

If you have one cabinet in that extreme condition chances are there are
others in the kitchen that may have similar trouble. You should check
them all first, and depending on how many others may be failing then
consider whether repair or replacement is the best alternative.

J.

Old May 29th 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

install inside corner brackets attached to the back and sides.
this happens all the time with p.b. cabinets. why? they are
crap.........................

oups.com...

Old May 29th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2007 06:44:20 -0400, "stainer"
wrote:

Cabinets pulling apart:

install inside corner brackets attached to the back and sides.
this happens all the time with p.b. cabinets. why? they are
crap.........................

| http://tinyurl.com/2snsrm

First, smear some wood glue between the parts that
are pulling apart. Then take the doors off, and whack
the thing back together with a rubber mallet.

THEN put metal corner braces in at the top.
Try to place them to that you're screwing into
the actual wood strip at the top of the cabinet.

If there's anything in the ceiling to attach it
to, a peice of quarter-round molding against the
front face of the cabinet would keep it forced back
against the wall.

--Goedjn
Old May 30th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On May 28, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can guide me in right direction on
this kitchen wall cabinet

With all due respect to those folks who might suggest a solution that
does NOT involve removing the cabinet from the wall and rebuilding it,
that is the only solution worth the effort. You should buy a bottle of
Elmers Woodworking glue (or similar) and have a six or so of clamps
wide enough to clamp sides to side and front to back. Save all the
fasteners you remove when taking the cabinet down - they appeared to
be holding well! Once on the workshop floor or bench, you will be
better able to see what came loose and where glue is needed/could be
effective. The assembly is a typical "knock-down" variety which will
do for years if properly assembled and installed. They do NOT suggest
gluing them up in the installation manuals, but your case seems to be
the exception! I would glue up every joint and remove the backing to
replace it after gluing it up as well.

The advice that the cabinet is a standard size is spot on. It is also
very likely that you can find a new unit that matches in every respect
and replace yours for about $80 or so. But, if the appearance is
acceptable, glue the structure back and put the cash in a CD.