Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default shower stall light/fan, gfi?

My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ps.com...
My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something, but let's not get into that issue.

Install with a GFI, no matter how much extra work is involved. The cost
certainly isn't an issue for these devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 12:40 pm, "z" wrote:
My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

the old fan may predate gfi's.
also, your kid's finger in the light bulb socket might be missing from
your equation.
but an even better idea is remove the fan noise from the bathroom with
the attic mounted bathroom fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Mar 2007 09:40:34 -0700, "z" wrote:

My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

There is a height limit in showers below which the ceiling is presumed
to be a wet location. If the ceiling is below that limit,
(i forget what it is) and the old fan was at the intake end,
then I think that it, too, should have been GFCI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:

My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Your existing fan was probably purchased and installed at an earlier
point in America's history, before the liberals decided that it was
absolutely essential to try and protect as many of our citizens as
possible from their own stupidities, such as some fool deciding to
unscrew a burned out light bulb while standing nekked under a running
shower.

But, GFIs do make sense to me. You never know if you are going to live
long enough so your memory deteriorates to the point where you find
yourself making silly mistakes that put you in harm's way, or a child
too young to have been taught better drops a plugged in older hair dryer
(one without a GFCI plug on it's cord.) into mommy's bath water.

Chances are that timer gets its power from the same circuit which serves
a bathroom outlet. It may already be a CFCI protected circuit, and then
you're home free. But if it's not, and you're lucky about how the wiring
runs, you could replace the outlet with a GFCI one and have it protect
the feed going to the timeras well.

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:30:56 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

But, GFIs do make sense to me. You never know if you are going to live
long enough so your memory deteriorates to the point where you find
yourself making silly mistakes that put you in harm's way, or a child
too young to have been taught better drops a plugged in older hair dryer
(one without a GFCI plug on it's cord.) into mommy's bath water.

To the OP. Put in a GFI anyway. Cost isn't an issue in this
situation. That said TV's Mythbusters busted the notion that one can
electrocute and kill the villian by shoving the hair dryer or some
other live appliance into a filled bath. But using a live appliance
with a wet hand can give a very unpleasant shock, may kill someone
with a pre-existing medical condition or cause a nasty (a fall)
accident.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 12:40 pm, "z" wrote:
My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Code in all states, as far as I know, calls for the fan/light to be
GFI. If there is an existing GFI device elsewhere in the bathroom, or
a bathroom nearby, the install isn't that tough. Just take the power
from the existing GFI and route it through the switch for the new
device. It's only on extra fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:01:55 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

To the OP.

One more advice. If your bathroom vents in to the attic make sure
your vent exhaust reaches outside the attic space. Else the moisture
from your bath will saturate the attic space with excess humidity.
This leads to mold growth and all manner of micro-organism nasties.
Excess humidity damages the insulation, the drywall and eventually
causes wood rot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We, the conspirators, are trying to keep you alive as long as possible so as
to tax you as much as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Mar 2007 09:40:34 -0700, "z" wrote:

My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light?

You're probably taller by now.

Am I missing something?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Your existing fan was probably purchased and installed at an earlier
point in America's history, before the liberals decided that it was
absolutely essential to try and protect as many of our citizens as
possible from their own stupidities, such as some fool deciding to
unscrew a burned out light bulb while standing nekked under a running
shower.

In fairness, everyone commits stupiditities, even if they are not
stupid.

When my basement flooded, to plug in the wet-dry vac, I pulled the
washing machine plug out of the socket, grabbing it by the cord an
inch or two back to not get my fingers near the socket. I got a shock
anyhow. I guess the current was carried on the dust???, that was on
the cord?

I was standing in 2 millimeters of water. I have a GFCI breaker and I
thought the washing machine receptacle was connected to it. I have to
check that. But I won't be touching the cord again regardless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your existing fan was probably purchased and installed at an earlier
point in America's history, before the liberals decided that it was
absolutely essential to try and protect as many of our citizens as
possible from their own stupidities, such as some fool deciding to
unscrew a burned out light bulb while standing nekked under a running
shower.

Somebody had to think for the conservatives, they were not very good
at it themselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
z wrote:

My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Your existing fan was probably purchased and installed at an earlier point
in America's history, before the liberals decided that it was absolutely
essential to try and protect as many of our citizens as possible from
their own stupidities........

The plan really backfired. We protected too many morons, and they elected
Bush. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Mar 14, 2:30 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Chances are that timer gets its power from the same circuit which serves
a bathroom outlet. It may already be a CFCI protected circuit, and then
you're home free. But if it's not, and you're lucky about how the wiring
runs, you could replace the outlet with a GFCI one and have it protect
the feed going to the timeras well.

I tried, no such luck. The outlet is GFI, but the main light switch
and fan timer are not connected to it. Oh well, nothing comes easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 10:25 am, "z" wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:30 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Chances are that timer gets its power from the same circuit which serves
a bathroom outlet. It may already be a CFCI protected circuit, and then
you're home free. But if it's not, and you're lucky about how the wiring
runs, you could replace the outlet with a GFCI one and have it protect
the feed going to the timeras well.

I tried, no such luck. The outlet is GFI, but the main light switch
and fan timer are not connected to it. Oh well, nothing comes easy.

My solution was to add a conveniance outlet on the wall opposite the
light switch using a gfci and route the feed there first and then to
the light swich and fan on the other side of the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

To the OP. Put in a GFI anyway. Cost isn't an issue in this
situation. That said TV's Mythbusters busted the notion that one can
electrocute and kill the villian by shoving the hair dryer or some
other live appliance into a filled bath.

You got the Mythbusters info backwards. They very much confirmed that
appliances in the bath are deadly. Check the link for episode 19:

http://www.answers.com/topic/mythbusters-season-2

--
Dennis

exhaust fan trips GFI... johnnyzero Home Repair 9 February 9th 06 01:46 PM
Shower stall help? maxinemovies Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 04:05 AM
Shower light - GFI? Martin Home Repair 4 April 14th 05 01:31 AM
Fitting shower fan/light Dougie Nisbet UK diy 3 June 15th 04 08:57 PM
Shower extractor fan with light Rafal UK diy 3 March 15th 04 08:10 PM