Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default shower stall light/fan, gfi?

On Mar 14, 12:40 pm, "z" wrote:
My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

the old fan may predate gfi's.
also, your kid's finger in the light bulb socket might be missing from
your equation.
but an even better idea is remove the fan noise from the bathroom with
the attic mounted bathroom fan.