Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower stall light/fan, gfi?

"z" wrote in message
ps.com...
My intention is to replace the vent fan in the shower stall with a
combined light/fan; easy access from the attic, don't want to separate
the two, just keep the one timer that ran the fan to run them
both.... but the fan/lights in the Home Dumpo all say "suitable for
installation in shower stall WITH A GFI" or similar. Why? If I wasn't
in grave danger of electrocution from the old fan two feet above my
head while taking a shower, why would I be in danger from the fan/
light? Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something, but let's not get into that issue.

Install with a GFI, no matter how much extra work is involved. The cost
certainly isn't an issue for these devices.