Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Chicken Wings

Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?
Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever
throw chicken necks away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks and make chicken
soup with them (and maybe other parts) but when it was one lonely
chicken, she'd cook it and someone, often she, would eat the neck, as
best one can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/26/2014 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?
Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever
throw chicken necks away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks and make chicken
soup with them (and maybe other parts) but when it was one lonely
chicken, she'd cook it and someone, often she, would eat the neck, as
best one can.

I guess I was influenced by my grandmother who came from the "old
country" but use pretty much all of the chicken.

What's not eaten outright is used in the soup.
(bones and skin removed after boiling)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about
some recipe for chicken and a restaurant that sells it,
that people (not restaurants) used to throw chicken wings
away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw
chicken wings away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or
grandmother ever throw chicken necks away? Versus
cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks
and make chicken soup with them (and maybe other parts)
but when it was one lonely chicken, she'd cook it and
someone, often she, would eat the neck, as best one can.

In my memory (from the early 40s on)...

We always ate the wings, they were - and are - my favorite; however; I
always discard the outside section of the three wing segments.

Nobody ate the necks, used in soup; ditto tail. Back was picked at.

Gizzards and livers were eaten but not by me. My tastes have changed, love
chopped liver with a bit of schmalz, onion and white pepper. Unfortunately,
nobody (restaurants) around here offer it. WTF are the Jews when you need
them??

Lungs and other innards went to pets. Not sure about eggs that had not
formed a shell. Obviously, chickens with lungs, eggs and other innards
wern't from a supermarket. These chickens had FLAVOR!.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?
Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever
throw chicken necks away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks and make chicken
soup with them (and maybe other parts) but when it was one lonely
chicken, she'd cook it and someone, often she, would eat the neck, as
best one can.

I loves me some Buffalo Wings!

This excerpt from Wikipedia on the origin of Buffalo Wings does indeed
state that the wings were "normally thrown away or reserved for stock",
even as late as the mid 1960's.

"There are several different claims about how Buffalo wings were created.

One of the more prevalent claims is that Buffalo wings were first prepared
at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, by Teressa Bellissimo.[3][4] who
owned the bar along with her husband Frank. Several versions of the story
have been circulated by the Bellissimo family and others:

Upon the unannounced, late-night arrival of their son, Dominic, with
several of his friends from college, Teressa needed a fast and easy snack
to present to her hungry guests. It was then that she came up with the idea
of deep frying chicken wings (normally thrown away or reserved for stock)
and tossing them in cayenne hot sauce.

Dominic Bellissimo (Frank and Teressa's son) told The New Yorker reporter
Calvin Trillin in 1980: "It was Friday night in the bar and since people
were buying a lot of drinks he wanted to do something nice for them at
midnight when the mostly Catholic patrons would be able to eat meat again."
He stated that it was his mother, Teressa, who came up with the idea of
chicken wings.

There was mis-delivery of wings instead of backs and necks for making the
bar's spaghetti sauce. Faced with this unexpected resource, Frank
Bellissimo says that he asked Teressa to do something with them."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2014 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

My older siblings worked (in the 60s) for a local restaurant famous
for its fried chicken. They'd buy whole chickens and cut them up.
There was so little demand for the wings, they'd sell their excess
wings for ten cents a pound. Necks were free.

I never liked the wings as a kid, but I loved fried chicken necks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 13:22:30 -0500, micky
wrote:

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?

No. You can eat most every part except the lips.

Slaves in the South were often given the less desired parts of a pig
from the slave master.

Now we have BBQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?
Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever
throw chicken necks away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks and make chicken
soup with them (and maybe other parts) but when it was one lonely
chicken, she'd cook it and someone, often she, would eat the neck, as
best one can.

Nothing thrown away. We make chicken soup with the works. I love eating the
necks. Actually I throw away some skins, and excess fat accumulation.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about some recipe for
chicken and a restaurant that sells it, that people (not restaurants)
used to throw chicken wings away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw chicken wings away?
Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever
throw chicken necks away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks and make chicken
soup with them (and maybe other parts) but when it was one lonely
chicken, she'd cook it and someone, often she, would eat the neck, as
best one can.

We were in a restraunt is Thailand and eating soup.
When we got to the bottom of the dishes, there were the scaly legs of the
chicken complete with claws.
Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:00:31 -0000, "harryagain"
wrote:

We were in a restraunt is Thailand and eating soup.
When we got to the bottom of the dishes, there were the scaly legs of the
chicken complete with claws.
Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet

A lady in AZ saw a severed chicken foot in a package of chicken breast
and made big deal out of it. Mexicans often use feet in cooking.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/water-cooler/arizona-woman-finds-foot-in-package-of-chicken-breasts-at-safeway-grocery-store
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We were in a restraunt is Thailand and eating soup.
When we got to the bottom of the dishes, there were the scaly legs of the
chicken complete with claws.
Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet

A lady in AZ saw a severed chicken foot in a package of chicken breast
and made big deal out of it. Mexicans often use feet in cooking.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/water-cooler/arizona-woman-finds-foot-in-package-of-chicken-breasts-at-safeway-grocery-store

We were visiting San Francisco two weeks ago and went to a Chinatown
restaurant for dim sum one morning.

One of the dishes served us was filled with battered deep fried chicken
feet. I'd never tried one before and did so. There wasn't much to eat on
them, mostly little bones inside.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We were in a restraunt is Thailand and eating soup.
When we got to the bottom of the dishes, there were the scaly legs of the
chicken complete with claws.
Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet

A lady in AZ saw a severed chicken foot in a package of chicken breast
and made big deal out of it. Mexicans often use feet in cooking.

My local grocery store sells packages of chicken feet, but they label
the packages "chicken paws".

I dunno if they have an idiot behind the meat counter, or if they're
just trying to be cute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 09:51:40 -0700, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

...snip...

My local grocery store sells packages of chicken feet, but they label
the packages "chicken paws".

I dunno if they have an idiot behind the meat counter, or if they're
just trying to be cute.

Ms. won't let me buy 'boneless' chicken, like those delicious spicey
chicken wings. She's had it too often taste like pork, so doesn't trust
them anymore. So if it doesn't have a chicken bone under the meat, not
buying it.

Anybody do any DNA analyses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-02-28, harryagain wrote:

Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

Eat 'em. When you ain't got much, a couple chicken feet is a lot.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-02-28, harryagain wrote:

Never quite worked out what we were supposed to do with them.

Eat 'em. When you ain't got much, a couple chicken feet is a lot.

Either stir-fried or pickled, they're pretty tasty. Mostly fat
and bones, but tasty. Standard Dim-Sum fare.

Another stalker in the wings... Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 0 August 7th 12 01:40 AM
After-market Tablesaw Wings Drew Lawson[_2_] Woodworking 46 April 13th 12 09:11 PM
Rolling planer stand with wings Nonny Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 December 21st 09 07:23 PM
chamfer my TS wings RayV Woodworking 6 April 29th 06 05:59 PM
Steel Table Saw Wings Replaced w/Exact Fit Cast Iron Wings Joe Woody Woodpecker Woodworking 0 October 29th 04 09:44 PM