Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default OT Chicken Wings

"micky" wrote in message

Someone on tv claimed, in the course of an segment about
some recipe for chicken and a restaurant that sells it,
that people (not restaurants) used to throw chicken wings
away.

Did you, or your mother, or grandmother ever throw
chicken wings away? Versus cooking them and eating them.

What about chicken necks? Did you, or your mother, or
grandmother ever throw chicken necks away? Versus
cooking them and eating them.

When my mother was cooking a lot, she'd save the necks
and make chicken soup with them (and maybe other parts)
but when it was one lonely chicken, she'd cook it and
someone, often she, would eat the neck, as best one can.

In my memory (from the early 40s on)...

We always ate the wings, they were - and are - my favorite; however; I
always discard the outside section of the three wing segments.

Nobody ate the necks, used in soup; ditto tail. Back was picked at.

Gizzards and livers were eaten but not by me. My tastes have changed, love
chopped liver with a bit of schmalz, onion and white pepper. Unfortunately,
nobody (restaurants) around here offer it. WTF are the Jews when you need
them??

Lungs and other innards went to pets. Not sure about eggs that had not
formed a shell. Obviously, chickens with lungs, eggs and other innards
wern't from a supermarket. These chickens had FLAVOR!.

--

dadiOH