Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to wire in a range outlet.

I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"flgeagle" wrote in message
news:047cc6cc68233016269b3ed385f21ca6@homerepairli ve.com...
I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to
install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Whooo -- be careful! I all likelyhood, BOTH the red and black are hot
and it is a 220v circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it.

Is this a bare wire or with green insulation? If it is, then that's your
ground wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

flgeagle wrote:

I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Red is hot
Black is hot
White is neutral
Bare is ground

On the receptacle, the red and black wires go to the two brass colored
terminals (one to each, order doesn't matter), white goes to the silver
colored terminal and the bare goes to the green colored terminal.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "flgeagle" wrote:
I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,

Right.

black is ground

WRONG!!

and white is neutral.

Right.

But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

That bare wire is the ground. The black one is hot also. You're apparently
thinking of DC. In residential AC circuits in the US and Canada, at least,
black is ALWAYS hot.

The best advice I can give you is to call an electrician, because you don't
even begin to understand what you're looking at.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Other than the bare wire, which would be ground, don't assume to know what
any color wire represents until you separate the conductors and test them
for yourself. Once you determine which are hot and or neutral, then you can
proceed to connect them to a receptacle. If you find the colors incorrect
for what they are carrying, I would remark them as necessary

"flgeagle" wrote in message
news:047cc6cc68233016269b3ed385f21ca6@homerepairli ve.com...
I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to
install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug, did you get an email from me a few days ago?

--
Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve Barker LT" wrote:
Doug, did you get an email from me a few days ago?

No, I didn't. I have a very aggressive spam filter, though, and since you're
coming from hotmail.com, it may well not have made it through.

I'll put you in my address book so that won't happen, and you can try again.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I'll resend. it'll come from steve at barkerranch dot net

--
Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...