Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How to wire in a range outlet.

In article om, "flgeagle" wrote:
I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install
a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is
hot,

Right.

black is ground

WRONG!!

and white is neutral.

Right.

But thrtr is an unwrapped wire
and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

That bare wire is the ground. The black one is hot also. You're apparently
thinking of DC. In residential AC circuits in the US and Canada, at least,
black is ALWAYS hot.

The best advice I can give you is to call an electrician, because you don't
even begin to understand what you're looking at.

--
Regards,