Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rainsoft water softener. Not using any salt?

Hello I hope someone can help me.
We moved into our home about a year ago and it has a Rainsoft water
softener that was not hooked up. (The owners said they didn't like the
way it tasted and they unhooked it) My husband hooked it back up about
a month ago and we put two bags of salt in it. From what I can tell it
has not used any or very little salt. It does run through its cycles
and water goes out the drain. But should I see water in the salt and
how much? I can not tell that there is any water going into the salt at
all? Thanks for looking and hope someone can shed some light on this
it is making me crazy. (I have never had a water softener and don't
know what I am looking for it to do.) LOL Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello I hope someone can help me.
We moved into our home about a year ago and it has a Rainsoft water
softener that was not hooked up. (The owners said they didn't like the
way it tasted and they unhooked it) My husband hooked it back up about
a month ago and we put two bags of salt in it. From what I can tell it
has not used any or very little salt. It does run through its cycles
and water goes out the drain. But should I see water in the salt and
how much? I can not tell that there is any water going into the salt at
all? Thanks for looking and hope someone can shed some light on this
it is making me crazy. (I have never had a water softener and don't
know what I am looking for it to do.) LOL Thanks again!

Probably the best thing you can do is to go to an aquarium, or a swimming
pool, supply store and get a water hardness test kit (about $5). If it
shows that your water is completely soft, quit worrying. Depending on many
factors, the unit may use only a small portion of that two bags of salt in a
months time.

If the water is not shown to be soft by the test, you'll probably be best
off to call for service. I just installed and adjusted a replacement unit
and I can tell you that, without some technical ability and suitable data,
adjustment and/or repair is likely more than you want to undertake.

Presumably, the softener was installed by someone who thought the untreated
water was too hard. Check with your neighbors. In many areas, the
municipal water is as soft as you'd want it. It depends on the source.
Even in those areas, there are water softener salesmen.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"SJF" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In further reply to your question about water rising into the salt --

If the unit is working properly, water will rise a few inches into the salt
but not necessarily far enough to submerge the two sacks that you added.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have well water and it is very hard. Had it tested a while back. I
guess I will just call someone to come check it out. Was just hopeing
to save a little money if I could right now. Things are a little tight
for us at the moment. Thank You.

SJF wrote:
"SJF" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello I hope someone can help me.
We moved into our home about a year ago and it has a Rainsoft water
softener that was not hooked up. (The owners said they didn't like the
way it tasted and they unhooked it) My husband hooked it back up about
a month ago and we put two bags of salt in it. From what I can tell it
has not used any or very little salt. It does run through its cycles
and water goes out the drain. But should I see water in the salt and
how much? I can not tell that there is any water going into the salt at
all? Thanks for looking and hope someone can shed some light on this
it is making me crazy. (I have never had a water softener and don't
know what I am looking for it to do.) LOL Thanks again!

Howdy Tammy,

Basically the water softener works like this... Your water goes through
the tank with resin pellets in it, the pellets take the hardness out of
the water and gather it on themselves. After so much water is run
through the system it need to be "recharged" . This is done by
flushing the resin tank with salt water. The system is usually set to
do this at night so the salt water doesn't get into your pipes for you
to drink. The system automatically fills the salt tank with water,
then draws that water into the resin tank, it then flushes the resin
tank with fresh water and that's the water that you see going down the
drain. After it clears the resin tank it resets and the cycle starts
again.

Normaly if the system is working correctly you shouldn't really get a
"taste" from having the softener. It doesn't add salt to your water to
soften it, it uses the salt to recharge the resin only. About the only
time you'd get salt would be if you happen to draw water while the
system was recharging or if the system was running during the day.

Your system should have a place for you to set it to real time, and it
should pretty much fill the salt tank to make the brine to recharge the
resin. I don't know how difficult it is to change the settings on the
softener, but you might be able to get a manual from a rainsoft dealer.

Good luck!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"tamrad11" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have well water and it is very hard. Had it tested a while back. I
guess I will just call someone to come check it out. Was just hopeing
to save a little money if I could right now. Things are a little tight
for us at the moment. Thank You.

I meant that you should test the water you are now getting from your
softener for hardness. If it shows that the water is now soft, the unit is
working OK. It might save you the cost of a service call. In any event, it
will be a rather inexpensive test. Perhaps you can take a sample to someone
who sells softener who will test it without charge -- hoping to sell you a
softener, of course. Sears does this I understand.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SJF" wrote in message

I meant that you should test the water you are now getting from your
softener for hardness. If it shows that the water is now soft, the unit
is working OK. It might save you the cost of a service call. In any
event, it will be a rather inexpensive test.

There are different types of kits. Some will test hardness and tell you how
many grains of hardness you have so the softener can be set up properly. If
you want to know if the softener is working, a simple yes/no kit is
available for $10 or less. You just put five drops of chemical in the
water. If blue, it is soft. If pink, it is hard.

Taylor Technologies makes a series of kits. R-0854A is about $6.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/06 08:44 pm SJF wrote:

We have well water and it is very hard. Had it tested a while back. I
guess I will just call someone to come check it out. Was just hopeing
to save a little money if I could right now. Things are a little tight
for us at the moment. Thank You.

I meant that you should test the water you are now getting from your
softener for hardness. If it shows that the water is now soft, the unit is
working OK. It might save you the cost of a service call. In any event, it
will be a rather inexpensive test. Perhaps you can take a sample to someone
who sells softener who will test it without charge -- hoping to sell you a
softener, of course. Sears does this I understand.

Or the OP could go to a store that sells water softeners (e..g., HD,
Lowe's) and will likely find a stack of water hardness test strips free
for the taking alongside the display of softeners.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tammywerner, Re Anderson wrote:
When the regen starts water fills the tank with the salt but only a few inches
or so. With two bags of salt you probably wouldn't see the water in the
holding tank. You shouldn't taste any salt in the water. Conditioned water
does have a different taste than water full of minerals. It's a "no taste".
Our first Rain Soft unit finally died after having bought it in 1987 - yes
1987. We just upgraded to a EC4. If the system hasn't been used in awhile,
I'd set up a service call to have them check it out. It's worth the cost.
And no, I do not work for Rain Soft. Just a satisfied user.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...lt-165655-.htm

Water Softener only on hot water? [email protected] Home Repair 12 January 24th 06 01:16 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 09:23 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
Water Softener Problems Gary Slusser Home Repair 0 July 21st 03 06:18 PM
Kenmore water softener and clear water iron RikC Home Repair 2 July 5th 03 05:38 AM