Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pigtailing Aluminum wiring with copper....

My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Posted to alt.home.repair

Apologies, i should have known better and searched before posting.

I have found most of the answers in thei post:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...02d e7ce6cb6a

Basically I can use AL\Cu connectors as long as the anit-oxidant paste
is used.

Grant

grant6607 wrote:
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Posted to alt.home.repair

My electrician made reference to a splice from aluminum to copper which
is safe, I did a little internet search and came up with this:
The crimp connector repair consists of attaching a piece of copper wire
to the existing aluminum wire branch circuit with a specially designed
metal sleeve and powered crimping tool. The metal sleeve is called a
COPALUM parallel splice connector and is manufactured only by AMP
Incorporated. This special connector can be properly installed only
with the matching AMP tool. This tool makes a permanent connection
that is, in effect a cold weld. An insulating sleeve is placed around
the crimp connector to complete the repair.

Source: http://www.heimer.com/information/aluminum_wiring.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

grant6607 wrote:
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

This was posted as an option by another a few days ago:
http://www.kinginnovation.com/products/alumiconn.html

go to this site to get more info:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

'pigtailing' can make the problem worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

grant6607 wrote:
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Wouldn't it make better sense to rewire the house to current codes with
all copper? Given this situation there may be a price break on your
fire insurance, and for sure the peace of mind. Modernizing could (and
should) also include GFCI outlets and more robust wiring runs. Your old
system was temperature rated at 60C IIRC, while newer insulations are
rated 105C today. Many older 240V installations as well used ungrounded
3 prong sockets which should be 4 prong now, with 2 hot wires, one
neutral and a ground.
Sure it might set you back some $$, but it beats coming home to a pile
of smoldering rubble.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
grant6607 wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Give me one instance of house burning down with Al wire. Properly done,
it's not that bad. My last house where we lived for 20 years had Al
wire. Never had any trouble. If it's done shoddy, then it's different.
But shoddy work with copper wire is not any better. Knowing what/how to
do using proper parts is the key.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"grant6607" wrote in message
oups.com...
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Would the easiest way to determine if the house wiring is aluminum and not
copper be to remove the panel cover and visually see if all the circuits
are AL wire? I have looked at several 70's houses to purchase and have
forgotten to ask about AL or CU. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

On 3 Sep 2006 14:02:01 -0700, "grant6607" wrote:

Apologies, i should have known better and searched before posting.

I have found most of the answers in thei post:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...02d e7ce6cb6a

Basically I can use AL\Cu connectors as long as the anit-oxidant paste
is used.

Grant

To help you, I only know of, and seen used, the only wire nut UL
listed, for AL/Cu Connection, so I've been told. It's the "Purple
Nuts" pretreated with a NoOx, Twister® Al/Cu Wire Connector.

http://www.urlbee.com?8627

When I flipped through a EC&M, I found another manufacturer has come
out with another type of connector, AlumiConn™ Aluminum to Copper Lug.
Made by King Innovation. Infact it looks so good, I might order up
one of their free samples.

http://www.urlbee.com?8629

Note with doing any work with Al wire, it is not as forgiving as Cu.
You need to make sure you follow all manufacturer instructions (per
NEC 110.3.b), and peform all work in a professional manor (NEC
110.12). Add I was told the 'purple nuts' were a one time use.
Meaning you cannot reuse them, so prepare your work a head of time,
and per the NEC, only qualified personnel can do electrical work, so
this post isn't a how-to, just a fyi for a starting point for
research.

Good luck.

tom

grant6607 wrote:
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Give me one instance of house burning down with Al wire. Properly done,
it's not that bad. My last house where we lived for 20 years had Al
wire. Never had any trouble. If it's done shoddy, then it's different.
But shoddy work with copper wire is not any better. Knowing what/how to
do using proper parts is the key.

How about this?
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...58/detail.html
For other opinions simply Google 'aluminum wiring house fires'. Scary.
Since the average house has hundreds of electrical connections it is
highly unlikely that all of them would be perfect in an Al/Cu system.
The bargain-built houses of years ago used Al as one cost cutting
means, and if cheap back-stabber oulets were another cost savings, you
have a recipe for trouble. But if you like to take chances, well,
that's your choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John F. wrote:
"grant6607" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Also check the sheathing of the romex and look for AL markings. The
home inspector for the house I bought last year did the 'pull & peek'
method. Turns out my house has Cu-clad AL wiring. fancy term for
aluminum wire with a thin coating of copper.

The Cu-clad sucks also. Yesterday a breaker tripped for the washer,
went downstairs to reset it and it was hot. Looked a little closer and
the insulation was partially melted and the wire was loose. I pulled
the wire and cut it back and stripped a new length. The piece I cut
off was compressed and deformed so it was 'tight' at one time. When I
found out about the aluminum wire I tightened up every lug in the box
in March, 5.1 months later and 4 were loose again...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Give me one instance of house burning down with Al wire. Properly done,
it's not that bad. My last house where we lived for 20 years had Al
wire. Never had any trouble. If it's done shoddy, then it's different.
But shoddy work with copper wire is not any better. Knowing what/how to
do using proper parts is the key.

Try this: http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm
Scroll down about 1/4 of the page and check out "Aluminum Wire Failure
Reports & Photos" There are 110 electrical fires a day in the USA.
All of them because of copper wire?