Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Pigtailing Aluminum wiring with copper....

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Give me one instance of house burning down with Al wire. Properly done,
it's not that bad. My last house where we lived for 20 years had Al
wire. Never had any trouble. If it's done shoddy, then it's different.
But shoddy work with copper wire is not any better. Knowing what/how to
do using proper parts is the key.

How about this?
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...58/detail.html
For other opinions simply Google 'aluminum wiring house fires'. Scary.
Since the average house has hundreds of electrical connections it is
highly unlikely that all of them would be perfect in an Al/Cu system.
The bargain-built houses of years ago used Al as one cost cutting
means, and if cheap back-stabber oulets were another cost savings, you
have a recipe for trouble. But if you like to take chances, well,
that's your choice.