Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV RayV is offline

Default Pigtailing Aluminum wiring with copper....

John F. wrote:
"grant6607" wrote in message
oups.com...
My house was built in the 70's and as a result was fitted with aluminum
wiring. I want to pigtail all the outlets, switches and lighting with
a small copper piece. As I understand it, this will help with problems
of oxidization and over heating.

I am finding mixed information on the best way to do this. I know there
is an anti-oxidization paste i should be using but can't find if there
is a special type of connector needed?

Is there a special connector required for aluminum to copper
connections?
Is there a preffered brand of anti-oxidizing paste?

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!!

-- Grant

Would the easiest way to determine if the house wiring is aluminum and not
copper be to remove the panel cover and visually see if all the circuits
are AL wire? I have looked at several 70's houses to purchase and have
forgotten to ask about AL or CU. Thanks.

Also check the sheathing of the romex and look for AL markings. The
home inspector for the house I bought last year did the 'pull & peek'
method. Turns out my house has Cu-clad AL wiring. fancy term for
aluminum wire with a thin coating of copper.

The Cu-clad sucks also. Yesterday a breaker tripped for the washer,
went downstairs to reset it and it was hot. Looked a little closer and
the insulation was partially melted and the wire was loose. I pulled
the wire and cut it back and stripped a new length. The piece I cut
off was compressed and deformed so it was 'tight' at one time. When I
found out about the aluminum wire I tightened up every lug in the box
in March, 5.1 months later and 4 were loose again...