Putting Nails Into Concrete Walls

Old July 28th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting Nails Into Concrete Walls

Hi,

I would like to hang some things up in my basement, but the walls are
of course all made of concrete. Is there a special type of nail to
hang on concrete walls or is there something other than nails that can
be used?

Old July 29th 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, there are "concrete" nails. They are specially hardened. I've
found them a real PITA to drive in. A better bet is the gadget (pretty
cheap) that uses a blank .22 shell to drive a special nail. You then
use this to attach "furring strips," and then attach stuff to that,
such as paneling, etc.

Old July 29th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
Hi,

I would like to hang some things up in my basement, but the walls are
of course all made of concrete. Is there a special type of nail to
hang on concrete walls or is there something other than nails that can
be used?

If you don't have dozens to put in, I'd suggest you take a look at
"Tap-Con" screws, they're sold all over, and can be safer for a novice
than the powder driven fasteners, also easier to remove if you ever need to.

All you need is an electric drill and the proper size masonry drill bit
to suit the size you are installing. Just drill holes in the concrete
and screw them in.

Goggle is your friend, just enter "Tap-Con" to learn all about them.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old July 29th 06, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I would like to hang some things up in my basement, but the walls are
of course all made of concrete. Is there a special type of nail to
hang on concrete walls or is there something other than nails that can
be used?

Yes, there are concrete nails. But, they are a bugger to drive in, and a
bugger to get out. And you have a very good chance of the concrete coming
off, and all you end up with is a hole.

Check out TapCons. For what you want to hang, you don't have to use very
long ones. Easy, tough, removable, and you won't end up with a bunch of
nails sticking out here and there, or holes from trying to pull those nails
out.

Steve

Old July 29th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
If you don't have dozens to put in, I'd suggest you take a look at
"Tap-Con" screws, they're sold all over, and can be safer for a novice
than the powder driven fasteners, also easier to remove if you ever need to.

Safer, and more successful. Powder-driven nails into concrete walls
don't work as well as into the floor. In my experience, the wall just
breaks off.

There are also lead anchors that you pound into a drilled hole and
screw into, and there are combo lead anchor + steel pin units that you
just pound in.
http://www.ramset-redhead.com/RH/hammer_prod01.asp

Old July 29th 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Unless you have a lot of patience you really need a hammer drill. Then
TapCons are the hot lick for fastening anything to concrete. I also
suggest hearing protection with the hammer drill (or the Bam Gun
fasteners). If you have the right tools concrete is just another wall
surface, tougher than most.

You got that entirely right. It is just that you want to be able to put
something up, and then TAKE IT DOWN if you want to do it without leaving a
cone shaped hole, or some Mondo fastener showing on the wall. Take out a
TapCon, daub a bit of spackle, and it's almost invisible.

Steve

Old July 29th 06, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:27:57 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrotF:

Doug wrote:
Hi,

I would like to hang some things up in my basement, but the walls are
of course all made of concrete. Is there a special type of nail to
hang on concrete walls or is there something other than nails that can
be used?

If you don't have dozens to put in, I'd suggest you take a look at
"Tap-Con" screws, they're sold all over, and can be safer for a novice
than the powder driven fasteners, also easier to remove if you ever need to.

All you need is an electric drill and the proper size masonry drill bit
to suit the size you are installing. Just drill holes in the concrete
and screw them in.

Goggle is your friend, just enter "Tap-Con" to learn all about them.

HTH,

Jeff

One of the problems with tapcon screws however, is that if the drill
bit encounters a stone aggregate piece, it will not drill through it.
and you're SOOL. Bits will only chew through the matrix between.
Old July 29th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B said something like:
wrote

Unless you have a lot of patience you really need a hammer drill. Then
TapCons are the hot lick for fastening anything to concrete. I also
suggest hearing protection with the hammer drill (or the Bam Gun
fasteners). If you have the right tools concrete is just another wall
surface, tougher than most.

You got that entirely right. It is just that you want to be able to put
something up, and then TAKE IT DOWN if you want to do it without leaving a
cone shaped hole, or some Mondo fastener showing on the wall. Take out a
TapCon, daub a bit of spackle, and it's almost invisible.

It's worth mentioning that these masonry screws you are referring to
actually tap out (as in carve) the threads needed as they are turned. As
mentioned though, you must first drill a hole.

*In my experience* you should *not* use the ones which look like merely blue
Philips head screws. Use the ones which have a hex cap on them and use a
socket wrench: the Philips heads are just too hard to keep a Philips bit or
driver in---the concrete provides too much resistance. Again, IME.

*ALSO*, be aware that if you hit a rock in your concrete your mileage will
vary a *lot*. The initial drilling might be nightmarish, but will almost
always work, and the screwing will have more resistance.

--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wh erethehell'smypen???"

Old July 29th 06, 02:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:iEyyg.1197$sy2.957@trndny01...
Steve B said something like:
wrote

[snip]

It's worth mentioning that these masonry screws you are referring to
actually tap out (as in carve) the threads needed as they are turned. As
mentioned though, you must first drill a hole.

*In my experience* you should *not* use the ones which look like merely
blue Philips head screws. Use the ones which have a hex cap on them and
use a socket wrench: the Philips heads are just too hard to keep a Philips
bit or driver in---the concrete provides too much resistance. Again, IME.

[snip]

It's easier if you use the proper drill size, then rub the screw threads
with a little paraffin or soap before installation -- either style Tapcon
should go in easily. Regards --

Old July 29th 06, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Don't use nails. For places where a Tapcon would be overkill, there are
picture hangers designed for concrete walls that can be put in with a
hammer. They look like a plastic button, with a hook from which to hang the
picture, and with several very small (and sharp) brads sticking out of the
plastic. You drive these small pins into the cement wall -- the trick is to
drive each of the pins into the wall without bending or breaking one of the
others. Removing them later is a PITA and may leave a small (but reparable)
pit in the wall -- these are widely used overseas where most buildings are
of concrete construction, but I believe the picture hangers are available in
the US at big box home stores.

There are also picture hangers that use glue to adhere to the wall. They
look like a folded bandage with a hook in the middle. I've used them many
years ago, but don't trust them to hold anything heavy -- or valuable.

Regards --