What to do with unused electrical wiring

Old June 24th 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with unused electrical wiring

Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to my question that I can't
find on the web. I'd like to remove a wall switch controlling a light
in my house (it's a 3-way switch and I decided I don't need this end of
it). My question is what I need to do with the wiring to the switch. It
will still be live because the circuit will still be active. Do I need
to pull it all the out from the electrical breaker box? Or can I just
tape it up, maybe put a plastic wire nut on it and leave it inside the
wall? I have very basic electrical skills (can wire lights, outlets,
etc.) so let me know if this is beyond my expertise. Thanks in advance
for the help.

Dave

Old June 24th 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Old June 24th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to my question that I can't
find on the web. I'd like to remove a wall switch controlling a light
in my house (it's a 3-way switch and I decided I don't need this end of
it). My question is what I need to do with the wiring to the switch. It
will still be live because the circuit will still be active. Do I need
to pull it all the out from the electrical breaker box? Or can I just
tape it up, maybe put a plastic wire nut on it and leave it inside the
wall? I have very basic electrical skills (can wire lights, outlets,
etc.) so let me know if this is beyond my expertise. Thanks in advance
for the help.

Best thing to do is leave it alone in case you change your mind or sell the
house and the next owner wants it. I can't think of a singe reason to take
it out even if not used. If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

Old June 24th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

Old June 24th 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

We don't do things like that. We did cause Sadaam to lose his job, exiled
his family, confiscated his money, evicted him from his homes, killed his
children, and clapped him in a cell. De-testicling him would be excessive.

Old June 24th 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

be aware that codes may require a 3 way switch at that location, like
both top and bottom of stairs.

why remove the switch? it accomplishes nothing but creates a later
problem at home sale time

Old June 24th 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

then you'd only have to turn the switch over.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

Old June 24th 06, 09:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jun 2006 17:07:05 -0700, "autonut843"
wrote:

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Maybe she's Italian. :-)

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old June 24th 06, 09:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:18:49 GMT, CJT wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

Oil half, two agree.

Old June 24th 06, 09:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jun 2006 20:40:57 -0700, "
wrote:

why remove the switch?

There are several good reasons.

To deny control access in an area, for safety reasons, is one.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Electrical Wiring Manyuals seniorgeezer Home Repair 6 March 1st 06 09:59 PM
Really dumb question about electrical wiring Neil Ralley Home Repair 8 August 24th 04 08:47 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 08:53 PM
Electrical wiring inspector? phil UK diy 14 November 25th 03 01:54 AM
Electrical Wiring Grouping Factors in IEE Regs pickerel UK diy 5 July 14th 03 02:26 AM