Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Default What to do with unused electrical wiring

wrote:
~^Johnny^~ wrote:
On 23 Jun 2006 20:40:57 -0700, "
wrote:

why remove the switch?

There are several good reasons.

To deny control access in an area, for safety reasons, is one.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

if the area has windows and its daylight it doesnt matter.

if its a public space and someone enters the area and falls you will be
found liable might cost you tons of bucks.

a locked door, a alarm , or other efforts may be a better choice

I believe you are misreading the post you are replying to. By the
phrase "To deny control access in an area" I suspect the OP means to
deny access to the control of the lighting in that area. This is
usually done to prevent unauthorized shut down of the lighting in a
public space. As an example the US NEC forbids the use of multi point
switching on required Emergency Lighting Circuits. So when a building
that has previously used individual battery pack emergency lights is
converted to centralized emergency power; such as an inverter array or
generator; there are often dozens of three way and four way; or two way
and intermediate; switches to be removed.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.