Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr

Default Best way to go about a major renovation; architect, builder, etc...

We just bought a house across from the ocean along the NH coast, it has
always been our dream to live there. It is a small 2 bedroom bungalow.
Our plan going into this is to rent it for a couple of years then sell
our current house, using the equity to build on the new one and make it
our final home for the "golden years";+}

Anyway, we have never undertaken anything like that before. So, last
night we met with an architect to just get an initial idea of our plan
and how this works. It was disappointing to say the least. Our
budget of no more then 200k for renovations wasn't going to get us
much. She felt a rule of thumb was $200/sq ft. The hitch is we need
to include the square footage that currently exists as it will also be
touched in the renovations.

This is a fairly expensive area. My question is would I be better off
getting somebody from another area to do the construction? Another
architect? As I say, I have never done something of this nature, so
all advice is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jtpr wrote:

We just bought a house across from the ocean along the NH coast, it has
always been our dream to live there. It is a small 2 bedroom bungalow.
Our plan going into this is to rent it for a couple of years then sell
our current house, using the equity to build on the new one and make it
our final home for the "golden years";+}

Anyway, we have never undertaken anything like that before. So, last
night we met with an architect to just get an initial idea of our plan
and how this works. It was disappointing to say the least. Our
budget of no more then 200k for renovations wasn't going to get us
much. She felt a rule of thumb was $200/sq ft...

You might add on a commercial plastic film greenhouse, about $1/ft^2,
including the "foundation" and installation :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Don't do anything substantial until ready to move. Renters may destroy it.
And your needs may change as you age.

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The architect was quoting you at today's prices. In a few years the cost
will be higher. The good news is that you have plenty of time to plan.

You should determine what your absolute needs and wants are and meet with
some architects and designers. When you get final plans drawn up you can
shop around for bids from contractors and suppliers. If you act as your own
general contractor (A lot of work) and solicit bids from sub-contractors
yourself you can save some money. Make sure your plans are as detailed as
possible and that you have determined specifications for as much as
possible. The specifications can contain part numbers and manufacturers
names. The more detailed that your plans are the more likely that each bid
from a contractor will be for the same work and materials. The more planning
and shopping around that you do, the more money that you can save.

Something else that you might be able to do is to start stockpiling
materials now. Manufacturers and suppliers have sales and closeouts from
time to time and you can find some bargains on plumbing fixtures, lighting
fixtures, flooring, cabinets, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr

Thank you.

I should also mention that this house in an "historical district" and
is subject to restrictions. The architect I interviewed has worked
with them before and has a good relationship.

When I inquired as to her fee, she said it was 12% of build cost. Now
that I think this over, does that mean she will only work for us if she
is involved in the actual construction? I have never hired an
architect before, I thought it would be a flat fee.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

jtpr wrote:

[...]

There should be architects willing to work on more modest scale. If
there is a preservation association nearby, they may be able to refer
you; they may also have plans for other similar homes than you can adapt
or use for ideas. If you have a good idea of what you want do do, draw
it out and take it to an architectural draftsman to draw up plans. Hope
you're not making a "McMansion" out of the little bungalow )

If there is a similar, already remodeled home in the area, go to the
city building dept and get a copy of the drawings.
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you.

I should also mention that this house in an "historical district" and
is subject to restrictions. The architect I interviewed has worked
with them before and has a good relationship.

When I inquired as to her fee, she said it was 12% of build cost. Now
that I think this over, does that mean she will only work for us if she
is involved in the actual construction? I have never hired an
architect before, I thought it would be a flat fee.

-Jim

If the architect is going to get a percentage of the build cost, it will not
be a cheap build. I would shop around for another architect. Also check
with the board or bureau that is responsible for the historic district
restrictions to get an idea of exactly what they require. Establish your own
good relationship with them. Don't let an architect tell you what is
required.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robin

Check with your state's AIA (American Institute of Architects) and ask
them for a local architect that specializes in renovations in historic
districts and coastal houses. Get a few quotes from architects and
shop around for a good fit. You should definately hire the architect
for the construction part of the project. That is a very good
investment. It is important to make sure the contractor is adhering to
the design, details and doing a good job. The architect is your
advocate. A great design and detailing on paper means nothing when it
is built wrong and is much more expensive to deal with later. Also,
renovations alway lead to surprises during construction. An architect
will be able to work these surprises out. I've had contractors come up
with solutions that are not thought through. An architect has a view
of the big picture.