Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Default Best way to go about a major renovation; architect, builder, etc...

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you.

I should also mention that this house in an "historical district" and
is subject to restrictions. The architect I interviewed has worked
with them before and has a good relationship.

When I inquired as to her fee, she said it was 12% of build cost. Now
that I think this over, does that mean she will only work for us if she
is involved in the actual construction? I have never hired an
architect before, I thought it would be a flat fee.

-Jim

If the architect is going to get a percentage of the build cost, it will not
be a cheap build. I would shop around for another architect. Also check
with the board or bureau that is responsible for the historic district
restrictions to get an idea of exactly what they require. Establish your own
good relationship with them. Don't let an architect tell you what is
required.