Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

Default Best way to go about a major renovation; architect, builder, etc...

In article . com,
says...
Thank you.

I should also mention that this house in an "historical district" and
is subject to restrictions. The architect I interviewed has worked
with them before and has a good relationship.

Historic preservation restrictions definitely increase cost of
construction.

On the other hand, they can sometimes give you access to preservation
grants or other funding.

When I inquired as to her fee, she said it was 12% of build cost. Now
that I think this over, does that mean she will only work for us if she
is involved in the actual construction? I have never hired an
architect before, I thought it would be a flat fee.

Architects can work on a percentage basis, or hourly fee. If your
project involves a lot of design changes, a percentage of construction
cost might be lower than hourly. If your design needs are simple and
you don't feel the need to have the architect supervise construction,
hourly might be less.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/