How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

Old May 2nd 06, 12:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Old May 2nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Lengthen the antenna and try a new remote.

Old May 2nd 06, 12:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nospam" wrote in message
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Are there windows in the garage door?

Old May 2nd 06, 01:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

install a new remote controller, it gets wired to the push button
switch wire location. put controller on front wall of garage, antenna
just outside.

if its a new problem try a different set of new batteries bought
elsewhere, and dont use cheap ones.

new batteries are occasionally bad...

Old May 2nd 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nospam wrote:

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

If the transmitter is one of the ones where the transmit RF frequency is
adjustable by screwing a tuning slug in and out of a coil, it may have
drifted out of tune and you could retune it.

You'll likely need to connect a voltmeter to a test point on the
receiver to do that, and tune the transmitter slug to peak the meter
reading.

Your equipment manuals should tell you if that can be done.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old May 2nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 May 2006 11:30:50 GMT, "Nospam" wrote:

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

At our previous house we had a pair of unknown brands. Maybe Sears.
Range was about 100'.

Out here in the country, we used Genie. Range seemed pretty good. I
bought anther and made a gate opener out of it. I can stand in the
kitchen and operate the gate at the road 400' away.

You can buy their Intelicode transmitter and receiver to add to
another brand of opener. http://www.imdoors.com/tableremotes.htm
middle of the page.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Old May 2nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Did it work any better when it was new? The lens might be dirty. Try
cleaning with cotton swab and some cleaning agent.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Just Bob" wrote in message

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

We used to tweak ours at work. There is a small round hole by the corner on
some. Look in there and see if it is a hex or a slot or what. That will
allow you to tweak it. Stand as far away as you want to be when it opens.
Hold down the button. Turn the adjustment first one way and then the other
until it opens the door.

As I said, it depends on your model.

Steve

Old May 2nd 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Just Bob" wrote in message

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter?

Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Did it work any better when it was new? The lens might be dirty. Try
cleaning with cotton swab and some cleaning agent.

Lens? This is RF, not a TV remote. I'd also check that the inside antenna,
that coat-hanger thing hung off the opener, hasn't been knocked loose.

aem sends...