Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling a concrete floor (basement)

Hi guys,

My bathroom in the basement is currently covered with vinyl tiles
(really old). I like to replace them with ceramic tiles. I think it's
going to be really uneven once I remove the vinyl tiles. Can I use a
floor leveler (Maybe one sold at Home Depot) on concrete to level it
out? Any suggestion? Also, to lay down the tiles what kind of tile
adhesive would you recommend. I live in Canada so I have access to both
Home Depot and Rona.

Thanks
Maz.

Posted to alt.home.repair
woodarama

check out this site, a lot of professionals over
there.http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...isplay.php?f=1

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

wrote in message
oups.com...
My bathroom in the basement is currently covered with vinyl tiles
(really old). I like to replace them with ceramic tiles. I think it's
going to be really uneven once I remove the vinyl tiles. Can I use a
floor leveler (Maybe one sold at Home Depot) on concrete to level it
out? Any suggestion? Also, to lay down the tiles what kind of tile
adhesive would you recommend.

On a concrete floor, I like to go with thinset... You might need one of the
air powered scrapers to remove the existing tiles and glue... Start with a
good surface and your tiles will last a very long time... Buy a box or two
extra tiles in case you ever drop something on the tile and knock a chip out
of it... Use a standard color grout so that you can get a matching
replacement at a later date in case you ever need to replace a tile...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

They sell a floor leveling *mortar* that can be poured over concrete.
I did the same thing you are talking about and all I had to do was put
some milky bonding chemical on the old concrete first (they sell it
right next to the leveling mix).

Make sure you have a good seal around everywhere you want to pour the
leveler, it is fairly runny at first. You should mix it all up in one
batch for one pour. The stuff does need a little help to *self-level*,
I just used and old straw broom to sweep it out a little bit.

Overall worked great and the stuff was very flat when dry. The
thickest part was about 2 inches thick and never gave us trouble for
three years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Be aware that many old tiles contain asbestos. If they are 9 x 9 tiles,
chances are they are contain asbestos. If they are 12 x 12 tiles they may
not contain asbestos, then again, really old 12 x 12 tiles may contain
asbestos. If they contain asbestos, abrading, chipping, breaking the tiles
can release asbestos particles to the air and surrounding surfaces. Have
someone versed in asbestos testing check it out before you begin removal.

Harry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys,

My bathroom in the basement is currently covered with vinyl tiles
(really old). I like to replace them with ceramic tiles. I think it's
going to be really uneven once I remove the vinyl tiles. Can I use a
floor leveler (Maybe one sold at Home Depot) on concrete to level it
out? Any suggestion? Also, to lay down the tiles what kind of tile
adhesive would you recommend. I live in Canada so I have access to both
Home Depot and Rona.

Thanks
Maz

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

You won't be using floor leveler over concrete as
your existing concrete will have some kind of
adhesive stuck to it when you remove the vinyl tiles.
You have to find out what that adhesive is, and
find a material that will stick to it.
Otherwise you are only jury rigging and taking a
chance on long term results.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...residental.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Good link and something all should be aware of. The key is determining if
your particular flooring actually contains asbestos because the work
involved is reduced considerably if it doesn't. There are lots of companies
that will perform the test and it's not expensive, although testing flooring
materials for asbestos can be one of the tougher tests for asbestos
containing materials to ensure accurate results and often requires TEM
testing.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...residental.htm

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM