Default How best to connect a generator, HELP !!

I am 70 years old and have a bad heart condition, last year I had
over 11 days of no power and had to live in my home with nothing
but a fireplace and a sleeping bag. Now I have purchased a 2.5kw
diesel powered generator but I can't get anyone to tell how best to
connect it to the furnace.
I want to disconnect the furnace at the circuit breaker and put a
romex cable of 14/2 at the output of the breaker and connect it to a
cable from the generator.
But no one wants to let me know if this will work and if there would
be any possible problems. Can some one let me know if they have
tried this and had any adverse problems.
Thanks for any answers, you can answer me by E-Mail.

m Ransley

You asked this last week and got your answer

Jim

This is what I put in my house and this will probably answer a few
questions... you can find it he

http://www.emergencyswitch.com/

This works great!!!!!!!!!!

I bought it and had an electrician install it for about 200 dollars. (I
bought the 5000 Watt)

Regards....Jim

wrote in message
I am 70 years old and have a bad heart condition, last year I had
over 11 days of no power and had to live in my home with nothing
but a fireplace and a sleeping bag. Now I have purchased a 2.5kw
diesel powered generator but I can't get anyone to tell how best to
connect it to the furnace.
I want to disconnect the furnace at the circuit breaker and put a
romex cable of 14/2 at the output of the breaker and connect it to a
cable from the generator.
But no one wants to let me know if this will work and if there would
be any possible problems. Can some one let me know if they have
tried this and had any adverse problems.
Thanks for any answers, you can answer me by E-Mail.

Greg O

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You asked this last week and got your answer

Yeah, but he is too lasy to check back, you gotta E-mail him!
I just love people that do that, they want free advice, and are not willing
to check back for the answers!
Greg

aezael

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:53:55 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You asked this last week and got your answer

Yeah, but he is too lasy to check back, you gotta E-mail him!
I just love people that do that, they want free advice, and are not willing
to check back for the answers!
Greg

I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL THE ANSWERS ! and they were all the same,
pay more than I paid for the generator, about twice as much.
And calling all the electricians in the phone book I found that no
one will do anything by themselves. You must have a electrical
contractor
to do anything and that would cost me about $2000.00.
I paid $ 600.00 for the generator, you do the math .
Thanks anyway !!

5p5 5p5 is offline
Junior Member

Ok, how does this sound: take the j-box that's presently servicing the furnace and put a duplex receptacle in, or below it; or make it a single (heck make it a GFI). Run a heavy-duty appliance cord (making sure that it's rated for the amperage) from the furnace j-box and plug the furnace in. Try to route the appliance cord in a workmanlike manner (not a tripping hazard). When the power goes out, plug the furnace into the generator (via an extension cord, since the generator will probably be outside).

That'll work, but I bet it isn't code, and I expect some flames from real electricians...soon...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

5p5 wrote:
[...]

Install a flanged inlet on the furnace and connect it to one end of a
double pole double throw center off switch. Connect the common terminals
of the two poles to the furnace equipment. Connect the other end of the
two poles to the furnace branch circuit from your service equipment.
Total materials less than $100.

If you have a modern electrical panel in use as your Service
Disconnecting Means then you can purchase the needed interlocks and
Inlet connections for less than two hundred dollars. Several hours
invested in reading "Wiring Simplified" and asking informed questions
will take care of the labor cost.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

5p5 wrote:
aezael Wrote:

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:53:55 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:
-

"m Ransley"
wrote in message
...-
[...]

Make it a single because it's a dedicated circuit. Other than that, it
sounds great. I would not use a GFCI because you don't want a
false-trip to take out your furnace while you're out of town.

Best regards,
Bob -- not an electrician