5p5 5p5 is offline
Junior Member

Ok, how does this sound: take the j-box that's presently servicing the furnace and put a duplex receptacle in, or below it; or make it a single (heck make it a GFI). Run a heavy-duty appliance cord (making sure that it's rated for the amperage) from the furnace j-box and plug the furnace in. Try to route the appliance cord in a workmanlike manner (not a tripping hazard). When the power goes out, plug the furnace into the generator (via an extension cord, since the generator will probably be outside).

That'll work, but I bet it isn't code, and I expect some flames from real electricians...soon...