Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default How best to connect a generator, HELP !!

5p5 wrote:
aezael Wrote:

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:53:55 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:
-

"m Ransley"
wrote in message
...-
You asked this last week and got your answer
-

Yeah, but he is too lasy to check back, you gotta E-mail him!
I just love people that do that, they want free advice, and are not
willing
to check back for the answers!
Greg
-

I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL THE ANSWERS ! and they were all the same,
pay more than I paid for the generator, about twice as much.
And calling all the electricians in the phone book I found that no
one will do anything by themselves. You must have a electrical
contractor
to do anything and that would cost me about $2000.00.
I paid $ 600.00 for the generator, you do the math .
Thanks anyway !!

Ok, how does this sound: take the j-box that's presently servicing the
furnace and put a duplex receptacle in, or below it; or make it a
single (heck make it a GFI). Run a heavy-duty appliance cord (making
sure that it's rated for the amperage) from the furnace j-box and plug
the furnace in. Try to route the appliance cord in a workmanlike
manner (not a tripping hazard). When the power goes out, plug the
furnace into the generator (via an extension cord, since the generator
will probably be outside).

That'll work, but I bet it isn't code, and I expect some flames from
real electricians...soon...

Make it a single because it's a dedicated circuit. Other than that, it
sounds great. I would not use a GFCI because you don't want a
false-trip to take out your furnace while you're out of town.

Best regards,
Bob -- not an electrician