Tony

Default Ruud direct spark or Lennox hot surface?

I am narrowing down the quotes for a new gas furnace / AC system. One
installer is quoting a Lennox G61V and the other a Ruud UGRA series. One
uses a hot surface ignition; the other direct spark. I know that if made
well either can be quite reliable, but my question to all is whether there
is any data that shows the Lennox hot surface design or the Rheem/Ruud
direct spark system in these higher end models either performs better or is
any more reliable? Also, is one significantly more expensive to replace?

TURTLE

"Tony" wrote in message
news
I am narrowing down the quotes for a new gas furnace / AC system. One installer
is quoting a Lennox G61V and the other a Ruud UGRA series. One uses a hot
surface ignition; the other direct spark. I know that if made well either can
be quite reliable, but my question to all is whether there is any data that
shows the Lennox hot surface design or the Rheem/Ruud direct spark system in
these higher end models either performs better or is any more reliable? Also,
is one significantly more expensive to replace?

This is Turtle.

I have found spark ignition to be the least trouble down the years.

Cost to replace ? The Difference is all in the same ball park.

TURTLE

Brian

Lennox hot surface design is probably better, but why compare
ignition systems?

You look at two paintings and compare the screws in the frames....

Lennox parts are always significantly more expensive to replace.

G61V - 2 stage heat variable speed blower, heat X 20 years.
UGRA - single stage, heat X - life

UGFD/UGGD modulating input variable speed blower

UGRA is no match for G61V

Tony

You're absolutely right, Brian. I had 4 installers quotes in front of me
when I wrote the original post. In fact it was the UGFD I wanted to ask
about. I mangled the series together with the UARA AC that was on another
quote.

"Brian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lennox hot surface design is probably better, but why compare
ignition systems?

You look at two paintings and compare the screws in the frames....

Lennox parts are always significantly more expensive to replace.

G61V - 2 stage heat variable speed blower, heat X 20 years.
UGRA - single stage, heat X - life

UGFD/UGGD modulating input variable speed blower

UGRA is no match for G61V

Stretch

I prefer Lennox over any other brands. They are more expensive many
times but I find them more reliable. Many contractors don't like them
because they don't want to learn better technologies like hot surface
ignition and Expansion Valves on cooling coils that Lennox uses and has
used for years. Guess what? Almost everyone is switching to hot
surface ignition and Thermostatic Expansion Valves(TXVs), even Goodman.

I have talked to a dozen contractors in the last year who said they
will retire when Goodman starts using TXVs and VS blowers. Well guess
what Goodman said at the last dealer meeting here?

Cadillacs are more expensive than Kias, but I would take a Cadillac
over a Kia any day. (Of course I would take a Chevy over a Kia too.)

Just my two cents worth.

Stretch

Greg O

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Almost everyone is switching to hot
surface ignition

Funny, I see it the other way, more direct spark, less hot surface!
From my experience higher end models use direct spark, lower end uses hot
surface. This will vary by manufacturer, but for the most part seems true.
We work on allot of commercial roof top equipment. I don't recall ever
seeing hot surface in an RTU.
Greg

hvactech2

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:14:20 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Almost everyone is switching to hot
surface ignition

Funny, I see it the other way, more direct spark, less hot surface!
From my experience higher end models use direct spark, lower end uses hot
surface. This will vary by manufacturer, but for the most part seems true.
We work on allot of commercial roof top equipment. I don't recall ever
seeing hot surface in an RTU.
Greg

Actually Hot surface igniters are all that trane uses on their
rooftops. Just take a look at any voyager or intelepak.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Greg O

"hvactech2" wrote in message

Actually Hot surface igniters are all that trane uses on their
rooftops. Just take a look at any voyager or intelepak.

I guess I missed them, Now I have to check next time I am near one!
Greg

HeatMan

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I prefer Lennox over any other brands. They are more expensive many
times but I find them more reliable. Many contractors don't like them
because they don't want to learn better technologies like hot surface
ignition and Expansion Valves on cooling coils that Lennox uses and has
used for years. Guess what? Almost everyone is switching to hot
surface ignition and Thermostatic Expansion Valves(TXVs), even Goodman.

I don't care for Lennox because of parts availability. Sure, I can call and
get it delivered via UPS, but what if the only part in the system is in
Tacoma, Washington, 4 days away? My customers balk at the Lennox pricing
enough with out the aditional cost of overnight shipping.

Old Carrier furnace: spark igniter Puddin' Man Home Repair 0 September 30th 05 04:30 PM
Surface Grinder Accuracy [email protected] Metalworking 36 July 28th 05 03:55 PM