ameijers

Default Re-upholster an office chair?

"Peabody" wrote in message
newsWkme.2758$rb6.830@lakeread07...
I have an old rolling desk chair that fits me just perfectly, but
has long since looked just awful. The fabric is worn out,
and the padding compressed. Anybody here ever tackled
re-upholstering a chair like that? Where would you go to find the
fabric and padding? I wouldn't even attempt something like a couch
or nice chair, but this is basically the seat, and I just wonder if
it's something an ordinary human being could do without it looking
like a three-year-old did it.

It depends- may be easy, may be a major PITA. If it has internal cording,
springs, etc, probably wanna leave it to a pro. If it is a typical office
chair, it is a plywood/plastic/metal shell, a hunk of foam, and fabric
stapled or glued over it. Hard part will be figuring out how to get it apart
w/o trashing it. Local upholstery company/boat cushion/tarp company will
have the fabric and the foam, or possibly even a big sewing supply store.
Get a slab of high-density foam and carve to fit, use dabs of glue rated
for foam to keep it in proper place on base, and then strech the new fabric
over it and secure it however it secures. If old fabric had sewn shape, or
was 'molded to shape', you will have to figure out an eye-pleasing way to
fold and tuck everything so it looks right when reassembled. Fabric store
will have the buttons and cord for any buttons- I usually ignore such
details. Check library or big-box DIY book aisle- I'm sure somebody has a
book with pictures.

Having said all that- I usually find the pivot socket on the bottom of the
chair dies before the fabric does. Stand facing chair, grab the arms, and
wobble it side to side. If it feels loose, time for a new chair. But if the
frame is strong and tight, with no cracked parts, I'd consider paying for a
pro upholstery job- quality office chairs are amazingly expensive. The
fanciest plastic made-in-China junk chair at the big box costs less than the
entry-level models from Herman Miller, Steelcase, et al. I usually buy mine
at auctions or garage sales- pay 20 bucks, get 2-3 years before it gets
annoyingly wobbly.

aem sends...

Phisherman

On Sun, 29 May 2005 10:09:15 -0500, Peabody
wrote:

I have an old rolling desk chair that fits me just perfectly, but
has long since looked just awful. The fabric is worn out,
and the padding compressed. Anybody here ever tackled
re-upholstering a chair like that? Where would you go to find the
fabric and padding? I wouldn't even attempt something like a couch
or nice chair, but this is basically the seat, and I just wonder if
it's something an ordinary human being could do without it looking
like a three-year-old did it.

It is certainly a do-able project by the average home repair person.
I recommend getting a book from the local library about the procedure.
There are a few tricks to it, and some tucking and pulling. Look in
the phone book for upholstry or foam shops where you can purchase
material. Shops will cut foam for you if you don't have a band saw.
Select material that will wear well. Cow hide leather is very nice.

Yes, me did. I replaced the back and bottom with new wood (rounded
corners, but bolts now exposed), then I got one of those "Winsdor
Chair Covers" off the net and covered up the unpainted wood. The body
of this 1978 chair is chrome and still looks good enuf that most folks
think it's a new chair. Some even wonder where they can gitemselves one.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]
dadiOH

Peabody wrote:
I have an old rolling desk chair that fits me just perfectly, but
has long since looked just awful. The fabric is worn out,
and the padding compressed. Anybody here ever tackled
re-upholstering a chair like that? Where would you go to find the
fabric and padding?

Upholstery supply place. Either store or web.
___________

I wouldn't even attempt something like a couch
or nice chair, but this is basically the seat, and I just wonder if
it's something an ordinary human being could do without it looking
like a three-year-old did it.

Sure. Two easy steps...

1. Remove old, paying attention to how it goes together. Diagrams or
photos if you have a rotten memory.

2. Use old as templates/patterns, replace old with new reversing steps
in #1

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

HeyBub

Peabody wrote:
I have an old rolling desk chair that fits me just perfectly, but
has long since looked just awful. The fabric is worn out,
and the padding compressed. Anybody here ever tackled
re-upholstering a chair like that? Where would you go to find the
fabric and padding? I wouldn't even attempt something like a couch
or nice chair, but this is basically the seat, and I just wonder if
it's something an ordinary human being could do without it looking
like a three-year-old did it.

Find a woman. She will direct you to the nearest fabric store.

Do not be embarrased. Very many males are into fabrics these days. Same with
ladies' undergarmets.

Take the woman with you to the store. She will help you select a durable
fabric/leather/vinyl/lace in the latest colors.

Puce and teal, I'm told.

Junior Member

How to re-upholster an office swivel chair:

I just re-upholstered an IBM office swivel chair that had a plastic back and plastic bottom. You could easily find the screws on the bottom (attached to a board that the upholstery is stapled to). the board said Oct. 1983 and it had brown burlap upholstery, changed to sky blue cotton duck fabric with pink butterflies....looks great now. Shock absorber (up and down) still works, but tilt button does not. It did take all day and then some. The back of the chair had two strips of plastic at the base that did not come together and you could flip these from front to back to allow the back post cover of the back to flip up so you could get to the screws to detach the back wooden board from the back plastic. There were also two small screws at the sides under the plastic edge on the sides (just peek under the edging, don't take it all off).On the back there were also two hooks that attached to the plastic back and hooked into the wooden back that the fabric attaches to. You have to pull down on the plastic back after loosening the four screws in the back and the two at the sides under the plastic edging.
The foam was glued to the boards so it had to be scraped /pulled off with a paint scraper , then steel wool, then sandpaper. A hot glue gun comes in handy for re-attaching the new foam,I cut new foam with an electic cutting knife and covered it in polyester batting and white muslin. This was not glued on , but any underneath foam build-up of the edges could be glued with the glue gun.
All office chairs are different, so just have to be persistent and see how it comes apart and put bolts and screws in a zip lock while working. Take the staples out of the fabric with a small screwdriver wedged under the staple and a plyers to pull staples out. Mark fabric taken off with top, bottom, sides, etc with felt pen and use as a pattern for the new fabric. It helps to put the boards, foam and new fabric upside down and kneel on it to squish the foam down while pulling the fabric tight to staple it to board with a staple gun.
I did not find any books on this at library or on internet, so just have to wing it . Best to have two people working on it. If you want a softer seat, maybe don't squish it down as much or use lesser density foam, or if new upholstery is not cushy enough, can also make an extra matching cushion on top of chair. Mine was worth it, just took a lot of work and time and sweat. Cost less than $60 (gave me extra fabric at store).
There is a retrofit available also at http://www.swivel-chair-parts.com/Tips/Retrofit.html (never tried....to change to a wooden bottom). Also saw a parts supplier online (never tried) at http://swivel-chair-parts.com/Contact.html for tilting mechanisms, etc if you want to go that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameijers