Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Derrick Regalia

Default Motion Detector + Fluorescent Lights won't play nicely...

Hello

I have a motion sensor switch in my laundry room to activate the lights.
(Very handy when you walk in with arms full of laundry...) I recently
changed from my incandescent fixture to a fluorescent one, to provide better
lighting.

Everything works great when the switch is in the off or on positions (i.e.
light is off or on according to switch.) The problem is in the auto
setting, which is what I want to use. The fluorescent light keeps
flickering, never really turning on all the way. This will continue even
though there is no "motion" (i.e. it never switches off.)

I read somewhere that someone else had this problem and they were advised to
use a relay switch. Ok, so I hooked up a relay to the sensor switch, and
then the light is controlled by the relay. This eliminates the flicker
problem completely, but... the light never switches off. Also, the relay
warms up a bit.

Is there a different type of fluorescent light fixture I need or a different
motion detector switch?

By the way, I have another of the same switch hooked up in another room,
again with fluorescent lights, and it works perfectly. This one controls 2
sets of fixtures together.

Thanks, Derrick

Travis Jordan

Derrick Regalia wrote:
Is there a different type of fluorescent light fixture I need or a
different motion detector switch?

Most low priced (SCR/Triac) motion detectors won't switch inductive
loads (i.e. ballasts, motors, relays..) reliably. You need a motion
detector that will handle inductive loads.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:36:44 GMT, someone wrote:

Thanks. Are these easy to find at home hardware stores (ie home depot) or
do I need to go to a specialty lighting store?

You might be better off just connecting your motion detector to
regular incandescent lights. A motion sensor light isn't usually on
for very long so there is not much electricity to be saved with a
flourescent bulb, AND a motions sensor light often goes on and off a
lot which eventually kills flourescent lights (they are best at long
continuous burns), AND people often want "quick strike" (the light to
go on as immediately as possible without blinking or warmup) on a
motion detector light. All of which are the characteristics of a
traditional incandescent light bulb.

Travis Jordan

Derrick Regalia wrote:
Thanks. Are these easy to find at home hardware stores (ie home
depot) or do I need to go to a specialty lighting store?

I don't know if the borgs carry them or not. Here's a typical one, but
they come in all sizes and colors.

http://www.smarthomepro.com/7484.html

Derrick Regalia

Yeah, that makes good sense.

Any recommendations for an otherwise dark laundry room? I like the 4'
fluorescent tubes because they make plenty of light and it have a decent
"spread".

"v" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:36:44 GMT, someone wrote:

Thanks. Are these easy to find at home hardware stores (ie home depot)

or
do I need to go to a specialty lighting store?

You might be better off just connecting your motion detector to
regular incandescent lights. A motion sensor light isn't usually on
for very long so there is not much electricity to be saved with a
flourescent bulb, AND a motions sensor light often goes on and off a
lot which eventually kills flourescent lights (they are best at long
continuous burns), AND people often want "quick strike" (the light to
go on as immediately as possible without blinking or warmup) on a
motion detector light. All of which are the characteristics of a
traditional incandescent light bulb.

Don Phillipson

"v" wrote in message
You might be better off just connecting your motion detector to
regular incandescent lights. A motion sensor light isn't usually on
for very long so there is not much electricity to be saved with a
flourescent bulb, AND a motions sensor light often goes on and off a

"Derrick Regalia" wrote in message
k.net...
Yeah, that makes good sense.

Any recommendations for an otherwise dark laundry room? I like the 4'
fluorescent tubes because they make plenty of light and it have a decent
"spread".

"Motion detector" usually indicates an outdoor
light. If you want an automatic light for a laundry
room, why not connect the switch to the door so
that the light goes on only when the door is ajar?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs