Vincent Poy

Default Help with JVC HR-S8000U SuperVHS VCR

Greetings all:

I have owned this VCR since late 1988 but have really only used it
during the first 6 years and then it was left just plugged in until
using it daily for the past few months. I have only used VHS tapes in
the VCR and it still records correctly but there is a problem with
playback. What happens is that when Play is pressed, it will show
SVHS and then the Digital light for Digital Features comes on and then
the Front Panel will display Play and Fast Forward with the tape
playing at the Play and Fast Forward speed. Holding down Play button
while this occurs will make it play normally and the Digital light
will go off but as soon as I lift my finger off the play button, the
Play + Fast Forward mode will return. Pressing pause will pause for
1/2 second and then do the Play + Fast Forward mode. I cleaned the
tape path including the Audio Control Head and also replaced the idler
and idler tire as the idler tire did have a gap but it didn't make a
difference even when using a VHS see thru test-jig. Anyone knows what
is wrong and will this cost a lot in parts to fix? Will non-JVC
authorized servicers be able to fix this? Thanks for any help in
advance.

Cheers,
Vince
JVC dude

Hi Vincent,
Is there a lot of light getting in through the top/side? these decks have
optic sensors and can be tripped into doing strange modes with light
otherwise sounds like a faulty switch contact or something similar.
when you say play button do you mean on the set or the remote.
~Its possible the remote if someting was spilt into it may do that.
if its not related to the remote then there may be a faulty switch on the
front panel. its certainly not a common problem.
I presume you've unplugged and plugged in again to reset the machine!

Other possible causes, dirty mode switch contacts, or poss a capstan
motor control fault , but that would be very rare. its more likely to be one
of the above.

hope this helps
AW

Vincent Poy

"JVC dude" wrote in
:

Hi Vincent,
Is there a lot of light getting in through the top/side? these decks
have optic sensors and can be tripped into doing strange modes with
light otherwise sounds like a faulty switch contact or something
similar. when you say play button do you mean on the set or the
remote. ~Its possible the remote if someting was spilt into it may do
that. if its not related to the remote then there may be a faulty
switch on the front panel. its certainly not a common problem.
I presume you've unplugged and plugged in again to reset the machine!

Other possible causes, dirty mode switch contacts, or poss a
capstan motor control fault , but that would be very rare. its more
likely to be one of the above.

hope this helps
AW

Hi AW:

Right now, there has to be a lot of light as I was trying to see if things
are working with the cover off but originally, the cover was on when the
problem happened. What is weird is that randomly, it will decide to play a
tape correctly. As for the play button, I'm talking about the button on
the front panel and not the remote as I haven't used my remote in a few
years. I've already did the plug/unplug a few times just to make sure that
wasn't the problem. I'm just trying to figure out will this be a expensive
repair since I see a lot of repairers that aren't factory authorized but
don't most problems need a service manual or will equipment tell them what
is wrong? Since it seems lots of places have a fixed labor rate but then
you have to pay for parts and I hope they don't randomly change out parts.

Cheers,
Vince

Vincent Poy

Vincent Poy wrote in
. 154:

"JVC dude" wrote in
:

[...]

I just put the cover back on and the first play of the tape plays normally
but then the next play, it does the same Play + Fast Forward mode again.

Cheers,
Vince

Mark D. Zacharias

Sounds to me like the FF button or jog wheel may have a problem. Seen things
like this before.

Mark Z.

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Vincent Poy wrote in
. 154:

"JVC dude" wrote in
:

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

P.S.

JVC had lots of problems with those blister-switch and flat key-matrix
panels in similar models.

Mark Z.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

[...]

Vincent Poy

This VCR doesn't have a jog wheel. If if was the FF button then wouldn't
it FF even in the stop position?

Cheers,
Vince

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

Vincent Poy

Hmmm, is this going to be expensive to fix though in terms of parts costs?

Cheers,
Vince

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

JVC Dude

I would suspect that the soldering under the right hand sensor may be dry
jointed .
If you aren't familiar with repairing equipment then don't try to cure this
yourself, since it involves stripping the deck out, then removing the main
board (although some models access from underneath may be possible.) Its not
easy!! Also the mains psu capacitor can retain approx 380Volts- just waiting
to shake hands with anyone who doesn't know wheres safe and wheres not!

Your supposition is correct re the FF button it would FF when turned on or
if 2 buttons are effectively pressed, then other odd symptoms may occur.

Remember as I said these units are very sensitive to light. There was a mod
to cover the right sensor (a slim 2" black LED type of thing standing centre
right of the mechanism)- its use is primarily to detect if the tape is at
the beginning and then shuttle forward off it.

As to what you should pay, I would think £30-£40 to cover an hours time
would be typical- however it may not be this sensor and only an engineer
with the top off, probing around could really correctly diagnose this.

Andrew

[...]

Vincent Poy

I didn't realize you were in Europe but from what you're saying, it seems
like it doesn't really need any parts replaced but rather just labor.
There is a place locally that charges $US35 + labor but I know they are n't
factory authorized and I wonder if being factory authorized will make a
difference or not. Where exactly is the right hand sensor located or what
does it look like?

Since you might be familar with this, I had a Mitsubishi HS-U70 SVHS VCR
that failed a few years back and it had like missing audio as well as
missing color and the problem seemed to have been bad capacitors but when I
shipped the thing to be repaired, it was fixed but shipping caused the
Control Audio Head to not be aligned and the guy I think readjusted it. It
will play any tapes it records but when I take the tape to the JVC HR-
S8000U, it will only show scrolling black & white with distorted audio and
also, any tape that the Mitsubishi recorded on can't be re-recorded with
the JVC, is this just a alignment problem as the guy that fixed it didn't
have the factory jig for proper alignment.

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

[...]

JVC Dude

Ok I've just researched the HRS8000. we never had that here. Its the same
mech as our HRD530 but with SVHS from 1988 ish
Forget the stuff about the sensors, thats on much more modern stuff like our
HRS7000/8600 the nearest model numbers.
Unplug it, take the bottom off, and carefully tighten the 2 or 3 small
screws fastening the green pcb's onto the bottom of the mech, it will
probably be a loose one causing a bad earth. and perhaps your symptoms. If
not then you could have numerous other things like a shorting pole on the
capstan motor etc.

Also as reported by Mark, the membrane switches can be troublesome, but
usually just inactive buttons. they gave most trouble when juices were spilt
into them!
Since this mech was used in Fergusons-UK (don't know what brand US have for
that- Thomson?) and Toshibas there should be many time served VCR tech out
there with experience so it doesn't have to be a JVC seervice centre
necessarily.
Hope this helps
AW

[...]

Vincent Poy

Hmm, didn't the HRS8000 came out after the HRS7000 though since they both
had the same look except the 8000 had the digital features. I'll probably
take the bottom cover off later today when I actually can get the AC cord
off as it's in a cabinet and the only way I did the unplug was to turn the
power-strip off for 1 minute.

Any ideas about the problem with the tapes from the Mitsubishi HS-U70
playing on the JVC though?

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

[...]

Vincent Poy

Which 2 or 3 small screws are you referring to? I have the bottom off now
and it pretty much looks like the pics he

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/mbk-42.htm

Thanks!

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

[...]

Vincent Poy

Just tried fastening the two screws on the green pcb on the right hand side
of the idler motor and it didn't make a difference. So VCR's are pretty
standard in mechanisms used except the PCB circuitry in each one will be
different?

Cheers,
Vince

Vincent Poy wrote in
.154:

[...]

JVC Dude

there are 3 screws with soldering under them 1 on each of the 3 boards.
This mech was used for perhaps 2-3 yrs in all models but with some minor
variations, heads, trick modes etc

[...]

Vincent Poy

Interesting... I couldn't get to the screw above the capstan or the mode
switch since after taking the bottom metal cover off, the plastic housing
is covering a lot of the bottom still and I have no idea how to get it off
without doing some physical damage probably.

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

[...]

Does it have "search" buttons as distinguished from a plain "Fast Forward"
button? Some JVC's do.

mz

Mark D. Zacharias

[...]

They definitely had some problems with bad grounding on this chassis, the
small screws on the bottom PC board(s). This would usually do things like
trying to activate the tape loading when no tape was in the carriage, and
make the "Tape In" indicator light up in the display, and initiate Rewind if
there was a tape in the mech.

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Just tried fastening the two screws on the green pcb on the right hand

side
of the idler motor and it didn't make a difference. So VCR's are pretty
standard in mechanisms used except the PCB circuitry in each one will be
different?

Mechanisms vary quite a bit but all have to do the same things - so
naturally there are many similarities as well. Some parts are made by the
same manufacturer - TDK for example made most of the full-erase heads and
audio / control heads used by the majority of manufacturers.

Mark Z.

mz

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, it has the variable search buttons which is exactly when it works
normally when you hit them, it will turn the digital light on and show the
play + FFW as well. I noticed if I hit rew while on play, it will rewind
for 1/2 a second and then show pause and then back to play + ffw again.

Cheers,
Vince
Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

Got a question... After getting the metal cover off the bottom, how does
one get the black plastic that is part of the chassis as it seems to cover
a lot of the parts.

Cheers,
Vince
Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in news:2q3ccnFpvljgU1@uni-
berlin.de:

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Just tried fastening the two screws on the green pcb on the right hand

side
of the idler motor and it didn't make a difference. So VCR's are pretty
standard in mechanisms used except the PCB circuitry in each one will be
different?

Mechanisms vary quite a bit but all have to do the same things - so
naturally there are many similarities as well. Some parts are made by the
same manufacturer - TDK for example made most of the full-erase heads and
audio / control heads used by the majority of manufacturers.

Mark Z.

mz

Interesting. I never knew TDK actually made parts. I thought they were
more of a company that makes media. I guess it's really the electronics
that differ between units as the mechanical parts seems easier to spot.

Cheers,
Vince
Mark D. Zacharias

[...]

As I recall, the entire deck is loosened from the top side and tilted up and
out a bit. No fun. 4 or 5 large screws hold the deck in place.

mz

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

t:

[...]

That makes sense. I thought the bottom cover was supposed to expose a lot
of the bottom but it doesn't.

Cheers,
Vince

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

[...]

After getting some sleep, I decided to try the remote as the guy at
studiosoundelectronics said it might be a bad switch in the front panel and
to try the remote which I did and the VCR is doing a Play Pause and then
Play Rewind mode from the front panel now and not the Play FFW anymore.
This was probably what you were saying earlier as well.

So here's a summary:

Now it's acting in a different way. From the actual VCR, when I press
Play, it'll do Play Pause and then Play Rewind. Even hitting Pause during
Play will do Play Pause then Play Rewind. Hitting Forward during Play will
do Play Pause and the Play Rewind. Ofcourse, the unit stays in Stop mode.
But from the remote, Play does work and all other functions does too. The
only thing is once I hit either Play, Pause, Rew/FFW on the actual unit
after having it in Play mode from the Remote, it will do the Play Pause and
then Play Rewind and then the VCR won't respond to the remote until I hit
the TV/Video button on the VCR. How do I get to the front panel and do I
need to replace the switch or do I just have to clean it?

Cheers,
Vince
ric

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

[...snip]

As I recall, the entire deck is loosened from the top side and tilted up and
out a bit. No fun. 4 or 5 large screws hold the deck in place.

C'mon. 200 lines of quotes for a two line reply? Try snipping your quotes.
ric

Vincent Poy wrote:

[...big snip]

That makes sense. I thought the bottom cover was supposed to expose a lot
of the bottom but it doesn't.

216 lines of quotes for a two line response! Bravo!
Mark D. Zacharias

"ric" wrote in message ...
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

[...snip]

As I recall, the entire deck is loosened from the top side and tilted up
and
out a bit. No fun. 4 or 5 large screws hold the deck in place.

C'mon. 200 lines of quotes for a two line reply? Try snipping your quotes.

Boy. Nobody's happy around here.

Try using the "end" button.

mz

Mark D. Zacharias

.. How do I get to the front panel and do I
need to replace the switch or do I just have to clean it?

Cheers,
Vince

I think I'd remove the front panel, and unplug the fold-down panel with the
buttons (if I recall correctly). If the remote functions normally at that
time, I think the problem has been narrowed down quite a bit.

Mark Z.

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

. How do I get to the front panel and do I
need to replace the switch or do I just have to clean it?

Cheers,
Vince

I think I'd remove the front panel, and unplug the fold-down panel
with the buttons (if I recall correctly). If the remote functions
normally at that time, I think the problem has been narrowed down
quite a bit.

Mark Z.

The remote does function normally except that things seem to mess up only
when you press the Play button on the fold-down panel and even the two -+
tracking buttons next to the Play buttons will cause the Play + Pause and
then Play + Rew. Somehow when I posted originally, it was doing Play + FFW
in play mode only when you use the actual deck but now it's doing Play +
Rew instead after doing a 1/2 second Play + Pause. What I was trying to
ask was how do I get to accessing the internals of the fold-down panel
after removing the top cover?

Thanks,
Vince
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Interesting. I never knew TDK actually made parts. I thought they were
more of a company that makes media. I guess it's really the electronics
that differ between units as the mechanical parts seems easier to spot.

Yep, TDK does make some parts. I don't think they make anything particularly
complex, but I've seen a lot of "simple" electronic parts that bear the TDK
name.

William

GMAN

In article , Vincent Poy wrote:
Interesting... I couldn't get to the screw above the capstan or the mode
switch since after taking the bottom metal cover off, the plastic housing
is covering a lot of the bottom still and I have no idea how to get it off
without doing some physical damage probably.

Cheers,
Vince

Unfortunately if you keep digging in farther into the mech no service center
is going to want to touch the thing.

Mark D. Zacharias

Unfortunately if you keep digging in farther into the mech no service
center is going to want to touch the thing.

Yeah, this unit seems to be easier to mess up that Mitsubishi units since
taking it apart seems to be a lot harder.

Cheers,
Vince

It's been so long since I've been into one of these, I don't think I have
any more specific advice on disassembly.

Mark Z.

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

Unfortunately if you keep digging in farther into the mech no
service center is going to want to touch the thing.

Yeah, this unit seems to be easier to mess up that Mitsubishi units
since taking it apart seems to be a lot harder.

Cheers,
Vince

It's been so long since I've been into one of these, I don't think I
have any more specific advice on disassembly.

Thanks for your effort as well as AW's. Got a question though. I noticed
the remote will power on the VCR but after it's on, it will not respond to
the remote unless I hit the TV/Video button or the channel up/down keys on
the VCR itself then it will respond. But if I used either the Play, Stop,
Pause, Rew/FFW, tracking +/- keys on the VCR which with the exception of
Stop, will all do a Play + Pause and then Play + Rew, I will need to hit
the TV/Video button or the channel up/down keys on the VCR itself before
the remote signals are understood by the VCR. If I take this in, do I need
to bring in the remote or can they service it by making it work again from
the buttons on the VCR?

Cheers,
Vince
Mark D. Zacharias

do I need
to bring in the remote or can they service it by making it work again from
the buttons on the VCR?

Cheers,
Vince

Should be enough just to take in the vcr. Seems as if the remote signal is
passing through the key matrix. Unusual, but I've seen it before. Wouldn't
hurt to bring the remote in with it for testing, though.

Mark Z.

Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

do I need
to bring in the remote or can they service it by making it work again
from the buttons on the VCR?

Cheers,
Vince

Should be enough just to take in the vcr. Seems as if the remote
signal is passing through the key matrix. Unusual, but I've seen it
before. Wouldn't hurt to bring the remote in with it for testing,
though.

Mark Z.

Today, I lifted the VCR and now it's back to doing Play + FFW again. I was
wrong about hitting channel +/- before the remote can talk to the VCR but
rather it's the TV/Video button. It seems like if I press the TV/Video
button a few times while the VCR is on or off then I can turn the VCR on
with the remote and then it'll respond fine. The TV/Video and Eject
buttons are not part of the fold down panel. On another subject, if the
Audio Control Head on another VCR is not aligned correctly, could that
prevent this VCR from even erasing and re-recording over a tape that was
recorded on another VCR?

Cheers,
Vince
Vincent Poy

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

. How do I get to the front panel and do I
need to replace the switch or do I just have to clean it?

Cheers,
Vince

I think I'd remove the front panel, and unplug the fold-down panel
with the buttons (if I recall correctly). If the remote functions
normally at that time, I think the problem has been narrowed down
quite a bit.

Mark Z.

Okay, I was able to remove the front panel and then took the three screws
off the circuit board that was behind the front power, tv/video, eject
buttons just so if there was anything stuck between the physical button and
the circuit board, it'll fall out. I put the three screws back on and now
when I power the VCR with the remote, it no longer requires pressing
tv/video before the vcr will respond to the remote. One thing I'm trying
to figure out is while I found out how to unplug the fold-down panel with
the buttons, how do detach the fold-down panel from the front panel so I
can get to the buttons of the fold-down panel? Thanks.

Cheers,
Vince