Derrick Regalia

Default Motion Detector + Fluorescent Lights won't play nicely...

Hello

I have a motion sensor switch in my laundry room to activate the lights.
(Very handy when you walk in with arms full of laundry...) I recently
changed from my incandescent fixture to a fluorescent one, to provide better
lighting.

Everything works great when the switch is in the off or on positions (i.e.
light is off or on according to switch.) The problem is in the auto
setting, which is what I want to use. The fluorescent light keeps
flickering, never really turning on all the way. This will continue even
though there is no "motion" (i.e. it never switches off.)

I read somewhere that someone else had this problem and they were advised to
use a relay switch. Ok, so I hooked up a relay to the sensor switch, and
then the light is controlled by the relay. This eliminates the flicker
problem completely, but... the light never switches off. Also, the relay
warms up a bit.

Is there a different type of fluorescent light fixture I need or a different
motion detector switch?

By the way, I have another of the same switch hooked up in another room,
again with fluorescent lights, and it works perfectly. This one controls 2
sets of fixtures together.

Thanks, Derrick