Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

How do you clean dirt off of nylon jacket shells?

Old November 28th 04, 04:07 AM
zinxx

Default How do you clean dirt off of nylon jacket shells?

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

Nothing I do at home gets this stuff out - it's nothing more than
ground-in dirt, perhaps a little grease, but mainly dirt.

Tonight, I did the following with one of her filthy jackets:

1. Saturated it and slathered Stain Stick all over the cuffs and other
dirty parts.

2. Soaked it for 90 minutes in HOT water with a little Clorox, Oxy
cleaner, and regular Tide

3. Pulled it out, slathered on MORE stain stick, and washed it in hot
water/cold rinse, with bleach, Oxy, and Tide again

When it came out of the wash, the bad parts looked as filthy as they
did going in.

It's just dirt! What am I supposed to do to get it out? She has
oodles of other jackets that look the same way.
Old November 28th 04, 04:09 AM
SoCalMike

zinxx wrote:

[...]

experiment with other cleaners?
carpet cleaner?
cover the cuffs with a dark colored cloth? fake fur?
Old November 28th 04, 04:35 AM
shinypenny

zinxx wrote:
[...]

Try Zout. Works miracles.

Good luck!

jen

Old November 28th 04, 04:50 AM
Jessica V.

zinxx wrote:
[...]

Try Fels Naptha, it's a bar soap in the laundry aisle. I get an old
toothbrush wet run it over the bar and then scrub the stain with said
soapy toothbrush, wash as usual. I've used the same bar for an easy
three years for all stain treatments on laundry. It's cheap and it
works. Even some stains that have been set in with the dryer it has
removed.

Jessica
Old November 28th 04, 05:23 AM
The Real Bev

zinxx wrote:

[...]

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 28th 04, 06:55 AM
PaPaPeng

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:23:45 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.
Old November 28th 04, 08:59 AM
Serendipity

wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

I agree. If you try to keep an 8 yr old's clothes spotlessly clean
your'll end up with early grey hairs and high blood pressure
Old November 28th 04, 11:26 AM
Joel M. Eichen

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx wrote:

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST
for life!

Joel

Old November 28th 04, 01:03 PM
Chloe

wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

I'd find it kind of depressing to think about dressing a child exclusively
in dark colors, but assuming I could get the same kinds of great deals on
kids clothes I get on my own, I'd probably buy most of her clothes at
Goodwill, anyway.

Old November 28th 04, 02:18 PM
kingsnake

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:26:18 -0800, Joel M. Eichen wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx wrote:

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set of
rings in a car.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST for
life!

Joel

Only in your IVORY tower.