Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
LurfysMa

Default Retractable awnings

Has anyone had any experience with retractable awnings?

We are enclosing a second-floor balcony which faces south. It gets
pretty much constant sun from about 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. We are
considering putting a retractable awning over the large bay window.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and a good vendor?

Also, are these things durable? I don't mind paying for quality, but I
don't want to put up something that will look like junk in a year or
two.

Do they have mechanical problems?

Does the fabric fade and need to be replaced? How often?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

LurfysMa writes:
Has anyone had any experience with retractable awnings?

I haven't but looked at a house that had one. Evidently a common
problem is leaving it down, and then a wind storm comes and rips the
thing off the house. Various vendors have counter measures to keep
this from happening, I think. A timer that retracts it for instance.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Doug Kanter

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience with retractable awnings?

We are enclosing a second-floor balcony which faces south. It gets
pretty much constant sun from about 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. We are
considering putting a retractable awning over the large bay window.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and a good vendor?

Also, are these things durable? I don't mind paying for quality, but I
don't want to put up something that will look like junk in a year or
two.

Do they have mechanical problems?

Does the fabric fade and need to be replaced? How often?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I'd look for businesses that have them, and get
recommendations/comments/warnings from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:40:23 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with retractable awnings?

Awnings allow you to get fresh air with a pretty good view and without
a lot of sunlight. Retracting them allows a better view. That all
seems good to me.

We had them from 1957 to 1965. In Indianapolis. The windows faced
east. We (I) took them off when the sun was no longer too hot.
(fall). We had casement windows so there was an additional part in
each awning, and they were heavy, but not so heavy I couldn't do it
myself. They were steel and canvas, and were several years old when
we bought the house. They were still good when we sold the house, but
the canvas was thick too. I suppose that made them last longer.

We are enclosing a second-floor balcony which faces south. It gets
pretty much constant sun from about 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. We are

That's all day, not just moring like for us. What other option do you
have for keeping the heat out?

considering putting a retractable awning over the large bay window.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and a good vendor?

Also, are these things durable? I don't mind paying for quality, but I
don't want to put up something that will look like junk in a year or
two.

Do they have mechanical problems?

Does the fabric fade and need to be replaced? How often?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.