Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cannot boot from Dos

I just put together a 686 to transfer dos files from an ailing 486's
hard drives. I was intending to use interlink or laplnk to do this.
For the secons computer I found an old 1 gig (approx) hard drive with
windows 95 on it. I reformated it from a dos 6.2 disk I had and
installed dos 6.2 on it. I then transfered the system from the floppy
to the hard drive. I got a "system transfered" message and assumed
that I now had a bootable hard drive. The problem is that it will not
boot from the hard drive. Command .com now shows to be in C:\ but I
can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:
I just put together a 686 to transfer dos files from an ailing 486's
hard drives. I was intending to use interlink or laplnk to do this.
For the secons computer I found an old 1 gig (approx) hard drive with
windows 95 on it. I reformated it from a dos 6.2 disk I had and
installed dos 6.2 on it. I then transfered the system from the floppy
to the hard drive. I got a "system transfered" message and assumed
that I now had a bootable hard drive. The problem is that it will not
boot from the hard drive. Command .com now shows to be in C:\ but I
can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

Most likely the drive was used as a second drive and does not have a
master boot record on it.

You can try steps 6 on, but here's the whole thing.

Proper steps to do this:

1. boot DOS floppy. You may want to use a DOS 7 (windows 98) floppy.
2. Use FDISK to delete all the partitions in the extended partition.
3. Use FDISK to delete the extended partition.
4. Use FDISK to delete any remaining partitions.
5. Use FDISK to allocate a DOS partition and make it active.
6, Reboot from floppy.
7. Enter "FDISK /MBR" command. This resets the master boot record.
8, Reboot from floppy.
9. "FORMAT C: /S"
10. Reboot from hard drive.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the feature of DOS that stuffs programs
into "holes" in memory to give you 640k of executeable program
space. It was a constant source of problems.

If you have a DOS 6.2 instalation floppy set (3 disks), it will
do all of this for you.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

I just put together a 686 to transfer dos files from an ailing 486's
hard drives. I was intending to use interlink or laplnk to do this.
For the secons computer I found an old 1 gig (approx) hard drive with
windows 95 on it. I reformated it from a dos 6.2 disk I had and
installed dos 6.2 on it. I then transfered the system from the floppy

Using sys c: you mean ?

to the hard drive. I got a "system transfered" message and assumed
that I now had a bootable hard drive. The problem is that it will not
boot from the hard drive. Command .com now shows to be in C:\ but I
can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

You did it wrong.

You may even need to re-partition the disk, depending how it was originally set
up (requires active primary DOS partition). I think it's the master boot record
that'll be screwed up. You can avoid this by using DOS 5 IIRC but, once a HDD
gets it into its head from a newer MS OS that it's not a system disk you do have
to get back to basics to get it working otherwise.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Corrupted or missing Boot Record.
JR

wrote:

I just put together a 686 to transfer dos files from an ailing 486's
hard drives. I was intending to use interlink or laplnk to do this.
For the secons computer I found an old 1 gig (approx) hard drive with
windows 95 on it. I reformated it from a dos 6.2 disk I had and
installed dos 6.2 on it. I then transfered the system from the floppy
to the hard drive. I got a "system transfered" message and assumed
that I now had a bootable hard drive. The problem is that it will not
boot from the hard drive. Command .com now shows to be in C:\ but I
can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Len, I think you are going about this all wrong.

Thing is I am not exactly clear about what you want to do. You just
want to save files ? Well take your best PC and just plug the
harddrive into the CDROM plug. Screw the CDROMs for now. Then you can
simply and easily select ****loads of files in Windows Explorer and
copy them. If one of your PCs can burn disks, the files can be put on
any PC easily.

If you want to save the OS for some reason, you will have plenty of
driver problems, but install disks are available all over the place. I
actually do not have 95 but I think you can actually DL it without
much trouble. As long as you have a key code, it should work.

I actually have a roving harddrive, a 40 gig for things like this.
About half of my media library is on it. I just make sure it is set to
master and unplug the CDROMs and leter rip. Much faster too, and this
will even work with PCs with SATA harddrive(s) because CDROMs are
still IDE. They still must have an IDE port.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to say exactly what you are trying to
save. Operating systems pre 98SE are not really worth it unless you
are hell bent on running older PCs. If you really like DOS, well, OK
then. But I wish you would say, you don't want Windows at all or
something ? If so fine, but I need to know if that is the case.

JURB

BOOT BUTLER J T Woodworking 0 December 30th 06 08:58 PM
no boot curt Electronics Repair 2 July 2nd 05 03:52 PM
DIY car CV boot repair nafuk UK diy 21 May 3rd 05 07:59 PM
BOOT BUTLER J T Woodworking 0 November 15th 04 07:51 PM
BOOT BENCH J T Woodworking 0 October 15th 04 02:18 PM