Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ZZactly@aol.com is offline

Default Cannot boot from Dos

Len, I think you are going about this all wrong.

Thing is I am not exactly clear about what you want to do. You just
want to save files ? Well take your best PC and just plug the
harddrive into the CDROM plug. Screw the CDROMs for now. Then you can
simply and easily select ****loads of files in Windows Explorer and
copy them. If one of your PCs can burn disks, the files can be put on
any PC easily.

If you want to save the OS for some reason, you will have plenty of
driver problems, but install disks are available all over the place. I
actually do not have 95 but I think you can actually DL it without
much trouble. As long as you have a key code, it should work.

I actually have a roving harddrive, a 40 gig for things like this.
About half of my media library is on it. I just make sure it is set to
master and unplug the CDROMs and leter rip. Much faster too, and this
will even work with PCs with SATA harddrive(s) because CDROMs are
still IDE. They still must have an IDE port.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to say exactly what you are trying to
save. Operating systems pre 98SE are not really worth it unless you
are hell bent on running older PCs. If you really like DOS, well, OK
then. But I wish you would say, you don't want Windows at all or
something ? If so fine, but I need to know if that is the case.

JURB